Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

Hello! Looking to get my first rifle.

EvilBetty

I've been around guns all my life, but have never owned one.  Mostly due to the fact that everyone I knew had one and let me shoot up their ammo!  >:D

I have no desire to make an overly expensive or overly time consuming hobby of this (I have WAY too many as it is), but I really would like to sharpen my shooting skills and maybe shoot at some "for fun" pin and target matches, so .22 LR's make a lot of sense for me. But in case I do get sucked into higher calibers, I want to get some that are well built and accurate, but also shadow larger caliber weapons.

I recently bought a Ruger Mark III 22/45 RP as my first gun.  I'd love to get a 1911 some day so this pistol seemed to make a lot of sense.  I'm already eyeballing Pac-Lite uppers, but resisting for the time being!

This started me looking at the Ruger 10/22.  These are fantastic rifles but not really what I'm looking for, even with the replacement stock kits.

Some guys at work were looking a local breed of AR's made by CMMG, and I noticed they make a .22 LR.  Actually a few of them, and they appear to be mate-able to the 5.56 uppers!

Then I got to looking at the competition.. the Colt and H&K Umarex rifles, the S&W M&P 22/15 MOE, and especially the SIG 522 SWAT.  The last two really have my attention but I keep coming back to the CMMG Quebec-A .22.

My biggest problem is that I know very little about the AR platform and how the CMMG guns compare to the other Tactical .22's.  Hoping to find some information here to guide my decision.

Thanks!

Welcome. The Colt, HK, S&W & SIG rifles you've mentioned are all well made fun rifles, but are dedicated to .22lr only whereas the CMMG you listed is a standard AR lower and is therefore compatable with centerfire uppers as well as accepts AR trigger and stock upgrades. (the S&W M&P15-22 will also accept standard ar-15 trigger parts but not centerfire uppers). I believe the CMMG Quebec A 22 is by far the best choice among the firearms you've listed. Good luck.

I still may get a 10/22 later but it would be purely for target shooting.

Any idea what the going rate is for CMMG rifles?  All I can find is the MSRP on their site.  And the only reseller of them I can find is Black Rifle, and they don't have much of a website.

Thanks guys!

• 1 month later...

Thanks guys, I ended up deciding on the CMMG M4LEP-A .22.

Got it to the range last weekend and fired some rounds through it with the family.  Both my daughter and my girl friend enjoyed firing it.  I was enjoying their reaction so much I ended up spending most of my time reloading mags for them.  ;D

I've got a cheap NCStar reflex on it now.  It's fun up close but out at about 25 yards the dot covers the target... looking for a illuminated scope now, probably create a new thread if I don't find info searching...

IMG_0651.jpg

It is rock solid.  It was between this and the SIG.  Really probably would have been just as happy with the SIG, and the SIG is lighter for sure.  But now I can practice with a rifle with the same weight, so firing the eventual 556 upper should be exactly the same except the flinch factor :)

• 2 weeks later...

That is my 9 year old daughter shooting, who is left handed.  I haven't had her fire it standing yet, only in prone.  Not sure she could hold it up long.  The ejection port though I think is far enough forward that only concern would be getting them on your arm, or shit cuff.