Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

Winchester M-22 Ammo for .22 LR AR15′s

imschur

Source

Winchester Ammunition announced a new load designed for AR15-style guns chambered for, or converted to, .22 LR.  The new Winchester M-22 ammo is specifically designed for “reliable feeding in high capacity magazines,” and offers “exceptional accuracy.” The loads use a 40 grain plated lead round nose bullet that manages 1255 fps from an AR-carbine (exact barrel length not given.)

While I don’t agree with Winchester’s use of the term “high capacity magazine,” I am glad to see that they are seeking to serve a growing segment of the shooting community.

The M22 ammo will be available in 1000-round bulk packs only.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Well, the Minimags are 36gn HP, at 1260 fps, and the CCI Tactical are 40gn RN, 1200 fps.  I imagine that the 40 gn will be more accurate at 100 yds. The 36 gn bullets seem to poop out at 75 yds. I have not used minimags much in my Colt, mostly Fed bulk and BVAC.

About $23.49/375 (>.06/round) for the CCI Tactical from MidwayUSA, versus $48.49/1000 (<.05/round) for the Winchester M-22 not counting shipping, etc., but certainly a comparison point.

The Winchester advertises higher velocity with a "black" copper plated bullet (very "tactical" for sure!).

CCI Tactical - 128 lb-ft KE muzzle

M-22 - 140 lb-ft KE muzzle or about 8.5% more KE with the same weight bullet.

Assuming each delivers approximately equal reliability, cleanliness, and accuracy, the M-22 would be the favorite....but they should have added "Tactical" to the name!  Lacking that I'm not sure the "cool factor" of M-22 alone will overshadow CCI's "Tactical" moniker.