Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

A few questions about the 522

techmike

Howdy, So how do you all like the Sig? Is it actually made by Sig? How is it to field strip and clean? Reason for asking, saw a couple of them at the Oklahoma City gun show, and the seller wants to deal, offering a 10% veterans discount, which would be $495 out the door. After looking on the web, that doesn't seem so good. How is the accuracy? He stated he could hit targets at 350 yards with CCI ammo.

This was the classic model.

Thanks,

TM

I really prefer the sig over any of the other .22 tactical rifles out there.

The takedown is just similar to an AR. No tools needed. You pop the pin on the lower reciever, the top reciever opens up, you pull the bolt back, slide the charging handle out, and the whole bolt assembly slides out of the upper. Its by far the easiest of all of them.

The bolt is a solid one piece design similar to the 10/22 rifle.

Here are somethings i really like about the sig rifle.

1. Three position stock, and it comes with different buttplates that you can use to adjust the pull to fit you. It also comes with different stock guides that allow you to change it to a single position stock, or lock it all together.

2. Folding stock, that you can shoot from the folded position.

3. Super easy takedown.

4. Metal upper and rail.

5. Will accept aftermarket black dog magazines.

6. Concentric firing pin. No stamped firing pins here, it has a real firing pin.

7. Reliability, it will eat pretty much any ammo you feed it. With good extraction.

8. Storage in the grip, and in the forearm.

9. Threaded barrel with removable flash hider, so you can attach suppressors without any machining.

10. Solid one piece steel barrel.

Here are my only complaints.

1. Wish it came with iron sights.

2. The trigger is a long pull trigger similar to what you would find when firing double action on a pistol. I would have preferred something more like a single action trigger.

All in all, you cant go wrong with the sig 522. Its a superb rifle, and probably the best option right now in my opinion.

I dont know who makes it, but I suspect that it really is made by sig.

All the other manufacturers like gsg, and umarex have tale-tale signs that they were made by them. The sig doesnt exhibit any of those indications.

After looking at all of the other "tactical" .22s, the Sig seams to me to stand out the highest in quality and performance.

I have almost 2000 rounds through mine now. I can easily punch a 1" whole in a target with a 25 round mag at 50 yards "rapid" firing. 200 yard shots are somewhat easy as well. I haven't shot past 200 yards however.

My only complaint is lack of iron sights. But that's easily remedied.

It's a great lil rifle.

I got the green model. I really like the green. Looks different. The first green rifle I saw was an AUG about 20 years ago and liked it.

They tend to sell the green 552's for less. They must not be popular. It's not like they are pink with purple poka dots  or anything. They're just green.

Cleaned mine the other day. Really easy. When I shot it, it was like firing one of those video game arcade guns. Really smooth as silk. I don't think the gun knows how to jam if you keep it clean. Just used CCI Blazer ammo.

I just picked up the OD version about a week ago off of Gunbroker for $410 shipped. And got a brand new TruGlo red dot for $26 shipped off Ebay. A couple extra CMMG mags from CDNN for $45 shipped.

So for under $500 bucks I'm good to go. I would like some BUIS, but no hurry, so I'll look for a deal on some use good ones.

I think you'll be happy with it, a really nice .22 rifle for a decent price.