Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

Colt/Umarex M4 .22 points generating venom thruout gun community

rodent.22

I'm sure many of you have seen the repeated attacks on the Colt/Umarex''AR''. On the other web sites, which I will not advertise, the absolutely VENOMOUS attacks have gotten to the point of being silly. One guy has posted DIRE WARNING posts, all identical on 4 different sites - under the guise of someone uneducated whom has been taken advantage of...Come on...Here are a few photos of the hot spots on this rifle that are stirring up the passions- first the POT METAL guide rails and bolt. This is a .22, the inner construction doesn't NEED to be titanium. Look closely in the mag well photo- the INNER finish is as good as the outer. The second photo shows the grip, non-AR dimensions. AR grips will work with slight modification. The 3rd photo shows the bolt hold-open. YES it has one, activating with an empty mag, the external release is for appearance only. Does this ruin the arm? I think NOT. Picture 4- the dust cover...A REAL HEARTBREAKER that it doesn't supposedly work. Mine and many others does, also releases with the bolt moving forward. As it SHOULD. The last and most infuriating detail to the naysayers is the fore and aft safety selector. MINE has 3 firm satisfying clicks when moved to any position, The early guns had the safe, auto, and semi. Delete auto and rename the semi position fire and you have a fore and aft safe/fire switch. Yep....I've laid my Colt/Umarex next to a new .223 Armalite carbine, without the magazine to give it away, you would be VERY hard-pressed to see a difference. No rattles, No rough edges, blow the photos up. Excellent fit and finish. Very tight chamber, poor quality ammo will not feed well thru this arm. Clean it well initially and run a couple hundred rounds of good ammo thru it, an excellent .22 THAT ONLY LOOKS LIKE AN AR. An AR trigger group does not make an AR- nice but not necessary....

post-16-144124358434_thumb.jpg

post-16-144124358437_thumb.jpg

post-16-14412435844_thumb.jpg

post-16-144124358443_thumb.jpg

post-16-144124358446_thumb.jpg

actually Im not aware of this. I have received many emails through the contact page of the main site and there seems to be two issues that these folks come across. The first is the gas adjustment. Many havent read the manual or maybe the earlier manuals left out the adjustment detail. The second issue is seating the mags. It seems some guys struggle with seating the mags completely with the bolt closed.

Anyhow if I owned one i certainly wouldn't expect actual AR build quality, its not necessary and would only add to the cost. If someone needs 100 percent AR parts compatability then buy an AR with a dedicated up.

The initial GSG-5's had some minor gripes and look at them now..

I have no doubt that if there is an issue that is not owner facilitated Umarex will take care of it pronto. Folks that have contacted me have received great factory support.

Solscud007- Hi, I see my post was as clear as mud...The early guns I was referring to were the auto AR, not the civilian guns. I've read several posts over the last 6 weeks about the umarex/colt safety having no detent detectable. Mine firmly goes into position both fore and aft, no slop. The center position is not a detent but it still stays in position. Evidently some people have had safety levers come apart or flop back and forth. Mine is serial #24,000 something, some of the early problems have been corrected. I believe the civilian AR's all use forward and up as the two safety positions. My safety very likely will loosen up with use, I can't tell if it's plastic or metal...Sorry about the unclear post.