Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

CCI Quiet-22 Ammo

imschur

Just found this

CCI is bringing out a new .22 LR cartridge called the Quiet-22.  The new rimfire round will be a low velocity round designed specifically to produce less noise when compared to a standard velocity 22 LR cartridge.  CCI claims a 75% reduction in noise.

The Quiet-22 uses a 40 grain round nose bullet and creeps along at only 710 fps.  This cartridge will function perfectly fine in any single shot or bolt action gun.  According to CCI, the round will also perform well in semi-auto firearms, though manual cycling may be required due to the low velocity.

So, why would anyone want a really slow, really quiet .22 LR cartridge?  I can think of a couple of reasons.  You may think of more.

Training New Shooters – New shooters tend to be recoil and noise sensitive.  That is one of the reasons why I suggest everyone, especially new shooters, double-up on hearing protections (plugs and muffs).  The lower the perceived noise, the less likely a flinch will develop.

Politeness – While I don’t mind hearing the occasional gunshot from my neighbors, I don’t particularly care to hear lots of shooting at the crack of dawn when I am trying to get a few extra minutes of sleep.  Reducing the amount of noise produced means you are less likely to annoy neighbors when on the back 40 getting in a little rimfire shooting.

I imagine pairing the CCI Quiet-22 ammo with a suppressor would make for an extremely stealthy pest gun.

Sounds like they will have a little more oomph than the old CB and BB caps I used to shoot with my bolt gun. They were the original sub sonic "quiet" 22's.

I could actually hear the hammer fall on the cartridge, followed by a light report and the sound of the bullet wizzing through the woods. And there was no way they had any ability to cycle an auto. Hearing protection was not needed when used in a rifle. We used cotton balls when we shot them out of our revolvers... like I said they had a "light" report.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I used the CCI Subsoninc (I have a couple bricks worth in the living room  right now) It runs great behind both my gemtech Outback and Halo great Ammo and have dispatched countless "rats in drag" (squirrels n chipmunks) and more than a few crows with it as well.  Not sure I would have any used for the 22 quiet. Perhaps in a free breathing wheel gun?