Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

Any issues with your P22?

techmike

Just picked up a used P22, feels really nice in the hand, natural pointer to the target. Have not been to the range as of yet. A friend of mine at work told me his P22 just "blew up" in his face. I am waiting for pictures, but after talking to him, the slide apparently failed during a firing exercise. He caught some debris in the face, and is very lucky as he was not wearing glasses... He returned it to Gander, and they told him it was out of warranty.

I owned one for years and it shot reasonably well...but...the rear sight was wobbly and it spit the front sight a couple of times.

My buddies P22's safety became loose and applied itself on every shot.

S&W repaired it and it worked properly after that.

Sold mine when I swore off Zamak firearms.

Nice gun... one of our favorite .22 handguns.

That being said.. it's about 2 years old and there were a few issues with it.

Once, while my 15 yr old son was shooting it, the slide flew off about 5 feet in front of him.  Maybe that was user error as we can't verify that the take down notchy thing in front was secured.  During the cease fire, we picked it up, dusted it off and stuck it back on... never had a problem since.

I was having a situation when shooting it where the slide wouldn't set the hammer in single action on almost every shot.  After each shot, the next round would go into battery, but the hammer wouldn't cock.  S&W picked up the shipping both ways and had it fixed within 7 days!  Great cust service if you ask me.

Lastly, it USED to be ammo picky... only CCI MiniMags.  Lately, I've been able to shoot Federal Automatch lead round nose stuff without issues.  Fed is almost 1/2 the price per round of CCI's.

Mine has the factory laser on it and it makes it look super bad-*ss!  Disregard the red goop you see... I've since learned how to clean a weapon properly!  :thumb:

[img width=800 height=600]http://i726.photobucket.com/albums/ww266/jestmaty/110_1012.jpg