Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

Grilling Recipes

imschur

For burgers....

Spray bottle with Lea&Perrins Worcestershire sauce.

Fresh (and I do mean fresh) peppercorn.

Grind peppercorn all over the burger, and spray with sauce while cooking.

Flip, peppercorn it again, and continue spraying till cooked to preference.

For Steaks.....

I have three preferences depending on what I want.

Ribeye or New York Strip - Montreal Steak Seasoning.....nuff said.

T-bone - Mix garlic powder and butter together. Sprinkle sea-salt on steak, slap it on the grill, right before its done, put a dab of garlic butter on it, and toss it on a plate.

Porterhouse - SLOW COOKED, after marinating overnight in dale's seasoning. That's all you need, and make sure you cook it slowly enough to stay juicy.

Filet Mignon - Marinate overnight in cabernet wine.....then cook to medium or medium well.

Chicken -

I usually shish kabob chicken turkish style...

4-6 chicken breasts

1 cup plain yogurt

1 tablespoon paprika

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon or 1 tablespoon ground cumin

1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (to taste)

4 garlic cloves, minced

1 lemon, juice of

6 tablespoons olive oil

1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper

1/2 cup grated onion

Combine all ingredients in a bowl.

Add chicken, cover & refrigerate 6 hours or overnight.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

All-Weather Grilled Steak:

A sirloin steak or steaks;  12 oz or more per person

Olive Oil

Montreal Seasoning

Fresh garlic (optional)

Cast-iron (grill) pan

Steak can be one individual-size steak per person or split a big one for two--  after grilling.  Steak needs be about an inch thick or more.

Start with thawed or never-frozen steak.  Coat heavily on all surfaces with Montreal Seasoning and allow to sit out lightly covered and marinate 30 minutes to an hour;  steak should be at room temp by then.

Put grill pan on fire (stove burner) and warm it up.  Some olive oil in the pan can be a guide.  The oil should just begin smoking.  Turn off the heat.  Let the warmth spread through the pan.  A few minutes.

Heat the pan again on high heat.  The olive oil should be 1/8 to 3/16 inch deep in the bottom of a cast-iron frying pan.  In a cast-iron grill pan (better) the olive oil should be exactly to the top of the grill strips and just barely trying to flow over them.  If using garlic,  put a couple of diced cloves in the pan,  spread the bits around,  toast them in the hot oil.

Add the steak to the hot pan & oil.  3 minutes.  Turn the steak over.  2 minutes and if needed,  use spatula to hold the steak down flat. 

For (usually) quite rare,  it is done.  For a medium rare to medium reduce the heat to about half,  turn the steak again and fry it 2 to 3 minutes;  turn again and give it 2 to 3 more minutes.  That is up to twice on each side.  Done.

A large steak (for two persons) can be cut in half now and inspected.  Or cut a little sooner and inspected and cooked longer if desired.

When the cooking is complete put the steak on a plate or plates and let sit,  covered (wax paper or whatever) for at least 5 minutes up to 15 minutes.  This is very important.

Serve and enjoy.

Notes:

Keep turning after 2 or 3 minutes.  Frying/cooking for 5 minutes in the middle step is not the same as turning over and changing the direction of heat flow.

Olive Oil:  if you are not familiar or do not have a favorite Olive Oil you might do better to buy a California-grown oil.  Research it.  I buy "California" brand olive oil because it is a US grown product and is subject to US Ag and Food standards.  "California Olive Ranch" brand is the only US brand I can easily find in my area. There are other common brands of California-grown olive oils.  I can tell the difference;  to me it is well worth the price differential.  Olive Oil from the Mediterranean is mostly a fungible product from any and all countries and growers.  Read the back of the label. Higher priced Med oil may be from a single grower and this will be on that label.  If it lists several possible countries,  it is a generic product of unknown source and quality and multiple growers.  Finally,  Olive Oil is generally the healthiest oil you can use.

At my house,  the steak flavors are better if the marinating time is longer rather than shorter.

I use an Induction Cooker unit with my cast-iron pots and pans.  I prefer the Induction Unit to the stovetop.  The Induction Unit has a countdown timer built in and my cooking times are reasonably precise to within a half-minute.

Personal preference may like a steak sauce on the table or the flavors from the cooking process may be enough?

I have tried sauteing mushrooms in the oil left in the frying pan after cooking the steak.  Much or most of the excess salt from the marinade is dissolved in the oil that is left behind.  The sliced mushrooms cooked in this leftover oil were intensely salty,  barely edible.

post-1108-144124391943_thumb.jpg

I think mine is a GE product;  either made by GE in China or made in China for GE.  Extra production is sold to other qualified wholesale buyers.  Mine carries an ID/Data plate that says it is a WalMart product. 

I had seen it advertised and then one day a year or two ago walked into one of my area Wal Marts and saw the identical item on the shelf for about $10 cheaper and grabbed one up.

The same apparent design is available at Amazon.  I bought another one as a gift for Christmas;  a very different looking unit and brand and had it shipped direct.  I do not recall what I bought. 

Mine is rounded and silvery colored.  I Think the GE branded one is white.  The gift unit I bought was black and square shaped.  I looked through the specs offered in the Amazon online catalog and crossed my fingers.  Nothing has been said and the unit may not ever have been used.  The person I sent it to has a gas stove and I thought an electric unit might be sometimes worth having as well as being inductive.

The unit gets a little warm but not so much as to burn fingers and cools almost instantly when the power is turned off and the pan removed.  A fan runs briefly underneath to cool the induction coils. I keep a paper plate on it to catch spills.  The paper plate gets black after a few uses from spill material caught under the frying pans and is easily replaced.  Cooking is smooth and heating time is quick and heat controls very nicely.

I stress olive oil as the healthiest cooking oil and keep my cast-iron coated with it.  The oil on the bottom of the pans helps the paper plate get blackened.  Soap never touches my pans.  It took me most of my life to recognize/believe the need to not let soap touch cast-iron.  :-)