Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

Not a .22, but...

98Z5V

Nowhere near a .22 rifle, but just wanted to share this - shooting the Rem 700 SPS Tactical AAC-SD rifle in .308 Win.  This thing is ridiculous to shoot.  :o

Every steel target between 150 yards and 450 yards is truly a no-brainer.  I had about an 8~10mph wind coming at me from 11 o'clock, to the 525 and 575 yard targets required some decent wind-dependent holdover.  I hit the 150 target a little too close to the weld in it's centerbeam for the swing/hang, and the damn thing fell off the target.    :grin:    1/2" thick plate, and the weld didn't hold, and I only hit it with a 150-gr softpoint.  Oh well, hopefully it'll be welded back up there next weekend.  :confused:

I was supposed to be shooting it today with a new AAC brake, but I didn't make it to the gunshop before they closed on Saturday.  Next week...  :thumb:

700AAC-SD10Jun12.jpg

I'll give you my thoughts on the AAC brake after next weekend.  :thumb:  This will eventually get a 762-SDN-6 AAC can on it, so I'm using that brake as a quick-attach for the upcoming can. 

There are so many brakes out there...  I know for a fact that the Bennie Cooley brake from JP enterprises gets high, high reviews.  Fulton Armory sells it, too, besides JP.  There's a ton of them out there, brother. 

Rene, I put a Spike's Dynacomp on my Ruger GSR - makes a difference.  With a 16" barrel on a .308 bolt, it really jumps up when you shoot it.  Definitely brings the red dot off-target.  I put the Dynacomp on there to try to keep it more on-target with the shots.  Working well so far.  :thumb:

RugerGSR.jpg

100_0230.jpg

100_0229.jpg

Brother Tom saw the Dyna and it really caught my eye and price was reasonable.Smith had one that looked interesting also :confused:.Like the idea about AAC so that sometime down the road I could put a can on my RRA 8).Brother techmike I read that JP works,but it does look like it belong on a piece of field artillery :o. ::)

Rene, I'm here for you, man - if you have a specific brake or comp in mind, let me know.  I can put it on a 20" .308 bolt, a 16" .308 bolt, or a 18.5" .308 semi. I'll test that thing for you, shoot the everlovinshit out of it, then ship it out...  ;D

My 24" .308 bolt is unthreaded, so you're shit-outta-luck for that config...  :o :beer:

PIcked up the AAC Brakeout today.  Not a fan of the stainless steel crush washer they include now - they used to ship it with a shim set.  I'd rather had the shim set.  Still need to time it properly, and I'll blast it this Sunday.  :thumb:

I must say, I'm impressed with the AAC Brakeout.  Combination of the brake and Blackout flash hider.  It did a damn fine job out there.  The two long targets at 525 and 575 were a challenge before, with the winds.  The recoil would cause the scope to jump off target, and I couldn't get back on target fast enough to see the impacts. 

Not now.  :thumb:  The scope still moves on those ones, but it still stays mostly in view.  It's easy to get back on target and watch impacts.  This device really does it's job well.  Felt recoil is down, but target visibility was what I was really after.  Happy with the purchase.  :beer:

post-1272-144124381814_thumb.jpg

Yes.  What you said about seeing target impact.  And that really sexy stock in the pic!!

My bolts are a Rem 700 & a Savage,  both on synthetic stocks & in 308 Win;  a 7 MM Mag Rem 700 on walnut and vintage in the 1970's.  The barrels are long and unthreaded and when I shoot there is no way to see impacts. 

I would love to have bottom metal that would take a PMag on the 308 Win caliber Rem 700.  I see the hardware in advertising and drool but the price chills me quickly.

Yes.  What you said about seeing target impact.  And that really sexy stock in the pic!!

My bolts are a Rem 700 & a Savage,  both on synthetic stocks & in 308 Win;  a 7 MM Mag Rem 700 on walnut and vintage in the 1970's.  The barrels are long and unthreaded and when I shoot there is no way to see impacts. 

I would love to have bottom metal that would take a PMag on the 308 Win caliber Rem 700.  I see the hardware in advertising and drool but the price chills me quickly.

That stock on the short 16" .308 is the factory stock that comes on the Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle - that is a wicked little .308, man.  >:D

The Rem 700 will have the bottom metal setup in it by the end of this week.  :thumb:

Hard to compare those two, as apples-to-apples, brother.  The AAC brake is on a 20", and the Dynacomp is on a 16".  If these were semiauto gas guns, it might be comparable, but on bolt guns, it's different.

That 16" GSR would rattle my damn teeth on recoil, and the barrel would jump straight up 3 or 4 inches, right off the shooting block.  It's short and jumpy, and bone stock, it only weighs a shade over 7lbs.  It never did do much for eating the .308 Win recoil.  Great shoulder pad from the factory, thankfully.  :o  The Dynacomp helped trememdously with it jumping up off the shooting block - and that would directly translate in firing from positions using the sling, too.  It helped, alot. 

That 20" 700 is a decently heavy bolt gun, with a heavy barrel, etc.  The Hogue stock is light, but that whole gun has some beef to it.  It also has a great recoil pad, stock.  It never did have a very harsh recoil - nothing like the GSR - but you couldn't keep the scope on target on the shots over 450-ish.  Now, it stays close to target on the longest shots I have available, out to 575, and the brake cut the felt recoil even more.  The closest I can come to a verbal explanation is: it felt like a .308 bolt gun before, just not too bad.  Now, it feels more like a harsh-recoiling .223 gun. 

If I get the gumption to take off both setups, I'll swap them from gun to gun and try them out.  :thumb:

I'd really like to try both of them on my .308 semi, to see how it does. 

Bottom metal on the way, with a few more things - I love talking to Roger at BAD on the phone.  That's never a boring conversation!!!  :thumb: :beer:

Thank you, Roger!  8)