Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

What's wrong with this computer?

Microgunner

This message keeps popping up no matter what site I'm on.

Computer is running very slowly and it freezes until I press "YES"

"Stop running this script?

A script on this page is causing Internet Explorer to run slowly.

If it comtinues to run, your computer might become unresponsive

YES      NO  "

I must click yes every time to continue.

What is this and how do I get rid of it?"

Might need to clean up your computer.  Malware and spyware.

Run your anti-virus in its most detailed clean-up mode.  Let it do its thing overnight when it can concentrate.

Do not use more than one anti-virus program in you computer.  Each program sees the others as evil and the sorting-out takes forever.

I have Norton (pre-installed) in this computer and it does these scans automatically from time to time.  My other computers are using Avast!,  free version.  I run the root scan in Avast about weekly with the setting to delete everything questionable.  Default is that it will stop and wait for instructions.

Avast! does play games trying to make the user 'Upgrade' to the paid version.  Do not do this unless you are a business.

My own experience with Avast! is that a normal RootScan takes a couple of hours if the 'delete bad stuff' choice is set;  it will stop cold and wait forever for instructions in the Default setting.  I,  personally,  see no point in the 'Virus Chest,'  and if you do not want the viruses/spyware/malware gone,  why run the program (in the other settings) at all?

The first time I ran a boot scan it took 12 - 16 hours.  There was a whole lot of clean-up to get done!!