Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

Build a 10 22 or purchase something off the shelf?

eeyore

Build a 10 22 or purchase something off the shelf?

Hi! thinking it would be fun to own and plink with a 22 tactical, hoping on some input of purchasing a off the shelf piece vs putting together a 10 22...also open to any other ideas! not wanting to spend a ton, but not looking for the cheapest thing out there! looking for function and cool factor!

thanks!

Ruger offers some very nice guns out of the box and that is the most economical route. However as TM pointed out there are so many fun options that they should be considered.

Now as a side note Im about to begin a new 10/22 build but before I start posting about that I thought I would finish up a web page on the last one. Working on this page just now when I saw your post.

I also have a page here with some options.

My next one will be extremely light and suppressed. At least thats the plan now.

Price-wise to modify a 10/22 to a tactical look will cost as much as buying a tactical rifle off the rack. Modifying it yourself gives it a fun factor, sense of pride in doing it yourself and a great learning experience.

My tactical 10/22 including price of rifle comes to about $800 with stock, scope, trigger, 5 magazines, fore grip & muzzle brake. It was a lot of fun to put together and is very accurate at the 25 to 50 yards I use it at in Tactical rim fire matches.

Thank you for the responses and information! As I think this through, I think what I would really enjoy is doing the 10/22 with a lot of the fun being able to personalize and learn while doing it step by step, I do find myself leaning towards ProMag Archangel stuff, not sure what system, still collecting info! Still would need to find a 10/22 as a starting point!

I am sure I will have additional questions! The desired end result is just a fun paper and can killer that looks cool and is fun and cost effective to shoot!

Thanks again!

Read my "Cheap Mods and Improvements to the 10-22" under Ruger 10-22 General.  There are some things there about what I think are worth doing and not worth doing. 

If I wanted to try to significantly reduce group size with the rifle in that thread or any 10-22 the first thing I would do is install a bull barrel or,  much better,  buy the 10-22 new with Ruger's bull barrel already in place.  My wallet sees no point in paying for a barrel I never intend to use.

My favorite small local gunshop has told me that every shooter in America wants an old used 10-22 just to get their hands on a receiver.  Yes there are some old 10-22's on the market.  Being the guy who actually managed to be the new owner is close to being a big lottery winner.

In my area,  some of the best prices on guns (the kinds and brands of guns they will sell) are at Wally World.  That is in spite of CheaperThanDirt and Cabela's being a major presence here.

• 3 months later...

After giving this some thought, I think I would like to just purchase something off the shelf and personalize it from there rather the convert a 10 22, Save the 10 22 fun for a nice target rifle build some day!

So...after looking on line, watching You tube, reading a few postings on message boards, I went to the stores and started doing a little touchy feely.

The Colt Opps caught my attention, like many I would imagine because it feels like a real gun, do not like the fake forward assist, one of the reasons I struggled with many of the 10 22 kits...things on the kits that were just  for looks and did not really function. Any way, looked at others, the Mossberg, the S&W, some ATI's and Some GSG. some I liked the looks and feel..some  just left me thinking I wasn't holding a well built gun.

After thinking I was about to purchase a Colt, I come across several threads bashing it...

So what are peoples thoughts and experiences, Best Built? Best Value? Best Shooting? likes? dislikes? What would you buy, what wouldn't you buy...what did you wish you had bought? and most importantly, Why!

Thanks ahead of time for any thoughtful responses! Thinking given the storm on the Hurizon, need to do this and get a few extra clips before the weather gets bad!

I have the Colt Ops, and I would not want to part with it. The trigger pull is not good out of the box, but I sent mine (trigger pack) out for a professional trigger job and couldn't be happier. (I think it cost $45) Just remember, it looks like an AR, but it isn't. So the forward assist and the dummy bolt catch are just decorations. The only thing I didn't really like was the half-a$$'d cleaning procedure in the manual. When I go to the range for fun, that is the rifle of choice for me.

TM

Any questions, just ask!

Hi TM! Thanks for the response and feed back! it seems almost any gun will have its pros and cons and those who love and hate it.

Besides some who seem to be taking issue with the way the internals our built, the trigger pull seems to be the biggest complaint!

My goal is to have fun, have something that is cool looking, fun and inexpensive to shoot and delivers value!

Hoping some more will jump on board and provide some additional feedback about how they think the many tactical 22's compare!

If I was going to purchase two...I think I would want the GSG AK look a like also!

Heck..If I won the lotto...one of each!!!!1

on the lighter side of all the craziness,  We had gone out on the evening  of Friday the 14th to do  a little touchy feely on the variety of tactical 22's left, guess I should have purchased one at that time! Had looked at a bunch of different ones, many looked cool and fun, At one point I had the S&W and the Colt Ops Sitting side by side, loved the feel of the Colt, but a little bothered by fake features and wanted to think it through, do a little more research etc. As the week progressed and our hobby has come under fire, I decided to act, was still on the Fence between the Colt and The S&W but also knew availability was quickly becoming a issue, In the last few minutes before heading out, decided I would make the S&W my first choice, Just knowing the Smith quality and reliability would probably be a better choice then the Licensed Colt, even though the Colt looks and feels a lot more like what I wanted,  But I also had a gut feeling, availability might steer my choice!

As we drove, My wife searched the Wall Mart web sight for the S&W, sold out was very common theme, same results with the Colt, We went to the store who's customer service has been good in the past....one lonely pink Carbine configuration in stock...

Off to the next store, one that had the best selection of Tactical 22's but only sell 10 round compliant models, We called, they had 2 left in stock, a GSG-AK47 and a HK, never looked to see what model. As we walked in, some one was looking at the GSG... so I waited, He passed and said he was going to go find a Mossberg.

I can't say the quality of the GSG jumped out and made me want to rush and take it home, but I had looked at the pictures, thought they looked cool and had thought, Gee, If I was going to two, how cool would it be to have both a AR/M4 style and AK style 22.

So, I now have a Black GSG AK47 on hold!