Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

Based on a Recent Post

elchucko

Concerning a issue with ammo and gun barrel problems. I don't own an M4 but it appeared to me from watching videos that the "inner barrel" seems to be a little wimpy, that is small in diameter...more of a BB gun type. I do plan to but an M4 as I have one on layaway at Wal*Mart. Why is an outer and inner barrel scheme needed? Is the M4 barrel as far as mass goes similar to any other 22 cal AR platform?

Keep in mind that the Colt is a .22 semi auto rifle, built in an air soft format, encased in an outer shell to make it look & feel like an AR. And for the most part it succeeds. I have one of the older ones, and except for the recoil spring mine is all original internal parts. (Except for one other spring that went "boing" and I never did find it) I don't know why Umarex went with the barrel and shroud design, but it seems to work well, as long as the flash hider is tightened to the same torque every time - the flash hider pulls all of the parts together into the desired position. Not a big deal for me. And I am sure it was much less expensive to manufacture than a solid steel AR barrel in .22lr.

After thinking about it, since the internal housing is made of Zamak, a small mass barrel was probably the best design, with a big aluminum outer housing to hold everything in alignment.

Concerning a issue with ammo and gun barrel problems. 

I would not worry about this at all. This particular rifle has been reported to have had modifications made to the ignition train that I believe could have been partly to blame for the case separation. If I remember correctly, the firing pin was lengthened and the firing pin return spring was shortened or removed. This could have caused an out-of-battery discharge. All my opinion of course.

TM

The Colt utilizes a tension barrel setup. Tension barrels have been used successively on rifles to improve accuracy while reducing weight. Example: Volquartsen tension barrels.

I believe Umarex went in this direction to reduce muzzle weight while keeping the M4 barrel profile. This will make the rifle easier to shoulder for shooters of smaller stature.