Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

Christmas present for my M1 Garand

techmike

I found a scope mount for my M1 that does not require modification to the receiver. I also did not want to lose iron sight functionality. This mount requires removal of the rear sight, and clamps into the rear sight mount. It has a peep sight adjustable for elevation. I was a bit disappointed, as I had to mill a new slot in the weaver mount in order to use my scope of choice. I also had to adjust a few clearances in the mount itself to get it to fit my Garand. The bluing is very poor, and I will dura-coat it to match the M1's parkerizing. I also need to get one of the lace on leather cheek pieces for the M1. But all that aside - can't wait till spring to get it out to the range!!!!

TM

post-10-144124359394_thumb.jpg

post-10-144124359397_thumb.jpg

Yep - Got my Garand from the CMP, then DCM for $250 in 1992.  :thumb: I have seen the scout type scope mounts - but they tend to block the iron sights. The Garands are so much fun to shoot - was at a quarry in northern California, bunch of guys having a day shoot. Some one had the idea of hanging some cans in a small tree, and shooting off hand at the cans from 50 yds. Hit a can - win $10. I went last and aimed at the tree trunk. 8 rounds of 30-06 chopped it down - I thought I would get paid for all the cans......  ::)

TM

The club thing was just dues in the California Rifle & Pistol Association. At the time, one also had to take part in a high power competition. The Folsom Shooting Club did a fantastic job - 12 hours Sat & Sun at the 1000 yd range in Ione California. Saturday was instruction, ect,ect. Sunday was competition. Also had to take turns in the pits scoring targets. They provided the rifles - Garands - ammo and coaches. Was a very positive event. Except for the friction burns on my elbows and a bad case of M1 thumb.....

http://sacvalley.org/

TM

I don't think you will go wrong with that choice. Mine was refurbished at some point in the past, and worked ok out of the box, except for ejecting the clip and the 8th round after the 7th was fired, and the target looked like a shotgun blast rather than a group. Also had a cracked handguard... All fixed now. :beer:

TM

It is off-set with plenty of room to load.

TM

PS - I'll get it back out of the gun locker and take a couple more pics to show the off-set. I have also installed "The Device" And it is GREAT! No more M1 thumb!! It also stops the automatic ejection of the clip after the 8th round.

Check it out HERE

I highly recommend it.

TM

• 3 weeks later...