Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

Air Rifles

lmao_37

Does anyone own am air rifle or two ? Iam looking at buying a Benjamin Trail np2 next month iam going to be using it for shooting rats, pigeons and rabbits. I use to hunt the same critters in the uk with a 12 ft lb air rifle with great successs and I was wondering if anyone else has one ?

Do any of you do any pest controlling wirh you air rifles .Iam trying to get some rat hunting and pigeon hunting at a local feed lot. There is about 2000 cows out there and alot of said pests they wont let anyone hunt with rimfire because of the noise it scares the hamburgers thats why were getting surpressed air rifles. Also the 1250 feet per second 40 grain hp's flying around thats then other reason, the pellets iam betting ar 14.3 grains traveling at 980 feet per second.

I would not use an air rifle if noise is a factor - well, I would not use mine - it is loud. A .22 bolt action rifle and Colibri powderless ammunition is as quiet as it gets. For instance, if I target shoot a can in my back yard, I hear the trigger release/firing pin noise, then a clank from the can. Obviously it doesn't have the range of a regular .22lr, but I can nail back yard pests with that set-up all day.

http://www.ammofast.com/collections/rimfire/products/aguila-colibri-quiet-22lr-not-for-semi-auto-20-gr-500-round-brick

The people that own the feed lot that were trying to get on at wont let anyone shoot rimfire as they had a tractor window shot out last year also they had some shoot a shotgun out there and had to spend a few hour rounding up scared cows as they knocked a fence down and ran off. The benjamin trail np2 is suppressed from the factory and its really quite compared to the old spring powered air rifle I had in the uk. This air rifle has a nitrogen piston instead of a spring but it will tale turkeys.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aZaexxNSqtg

That looks like it'll get the job done.

I personally prefer fixed barrel lever cocking air rifles for their long term accuracy benifits but my last air rifle was a barrel cocker and I took dozens, maybe hundreds of squirrels and rats with it.

The lever cockers are heavier though because, well, you have an extra steel lever added to the rifle.

• 1 month later...