Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

Manually ejecting round gsg-5

I did the screw upgrade and was just making sure everything worked and was wandering if it was normal when you manually pull the bolt back for it not to eject round.  I havent got to live fire it and didnt know if it was just cause the speed of me doing it manually.  I know my AK would do it manually, but dont know if this is normal for gsg-5

• 2 months later...

The extractor is located slightly above the rim's lateral axis centerline.  When the bolt is manually withdrawn the round is dragged across the one in the magazine which tends to make it hang up and not eject cleanly unless one cycles the action briskly.

During firing things are very different.  The .22LR's "primary" ejection is by thrust directly to the bolt face with the claw extractor acting as a secondary extraction assist.  This is why the gun may extract sluggishly when manually cycled but operate flawlessly when fired.

A good example of a .22LR's primary method of extraction is the Beretta (and Taurus clone) Mod 21 in .22LR caliber...the one with the tip-up barrel.  Examine it closely and you will find it has no extractor but relies soley on breech thrust to get the empty shell out of the chamber and into contact with the ejector.  This is the reason it uses a tip-up barrel because once chambered there is no way to extract the round by manual cycling to the barrel is designed to pivot up so the shell can be manually removed by fingernail.