Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

first cleaning tear-down....

Well, I've put several thousand rounds thru the Colt/Umarex OPS. While being smooth as silk and very reliable I did realize while shooting my last brick of Federal bulkpak that the bolt was getting a little stiff and the charging handle felt ''gritty'' even after spraying out the action. Just for giggles I set up my cleaning table in front of my command center (recliner)and disassembled the rifle. On the upper (hidden) portion of the bolt the surface had built up a layer of hard residue. The guide rails for the bolt inside the carrier had done the same and the end of the charging handle also. This stuff progressively thickens and takes up all the clearance inside the arm. A good bath of Hoppes #9 and a small brass brush soon had this crap scrubbed off. Thanks to TechMike for his excellent Powerpoint presentation. If you've got over a couple of thousand rounds thru your rifle I would recommend a teardown. The only thing to watch for is the bolt hold- open tension spring that WILL pop out when sliding the bolt carrier and barrel back out of the receiver.

• 2 months later...