Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

Anatomy of a Dud

techmike

I had two fail to fires last time out - both were from a Federal Value Pack. Both rounds were manually extracted, reloaded and fired a second time. Neither round functioned. At home, I removed the bullets and found the primer, a bright greenish color material, broken up and mixed with the powder.  :confused:

TM

I usually get one or 2 duds out of a Federal value pack also, but that brings up a question. How is the primer material put into the rim of a .22?  I'm just curious and took a few minutes to search but didn't find the answer yet, so if anyone knows a link post it please.

i think primer is put in as a paste the spun round on a centrefuge type machine so it goes in to the rim of the case then dried. read something about it in on of the many gun magazines

I believe you are correct. There was no corrosion, no signs of physical damage - just the primer mixed with the powder. I guess the primer could have "broken" when the firing pin struck instead of igniting, but when flame was applied the primer material cooked off just fine. I e-mailed Federal, and within 24 hours I had received a response offering to replace the value pack.

TM

i think primer is put in as a paste the spun round on a centrefuge type machine so it goes in to the rim of the case then dried. read something about it in on of the many gun magazines

Thanks, I hadn't gotten back to researching further, I figured it was something like that, but interesting to know.