Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

Umerex/Colt m16 SPR butt stock

Hey ellie_18, and welcome to the site. The Colt/Umarex's "buffer tube" measures 28.75 mm in diameter. My Sabre Defense AR's buffer tube measures 30.20 mm in diameter. Every stock I have tried on the Colt fit's, but is a sloppy fit. What I have done with success is to use an adhesive, (single side), teflon tape as shim stock inside the stock. I place it lengthwise at 9, 12 and 3 o'clock positions, and that works for me.

TM

Thanks for the info guys but the SPR has an a2 buttstock. I don't know if it uses the same buffer tube as the Umarex m4. The milspec A2 buffer tubes are completetly cylindrical and the magpul PRS is a fixed stock that Requires an a2 buffer tube. 

Thanks again

• 5 weeks later...

The colt/umarex buffer tubes are proprietary, you would have to get a Walther  m4 tube and install it, then the adjustable replacement stocks would work. The Colt/Umarex/Walther tube is NOT hollow on the reciever end, this being a blowback design. The tube end is solid, and is actually attached to the gun with a screw, the tube nut not actually holding the tube to the gun. :beer:

Thanks rodent.22,

the colt m16 wont work either as it has no tube at all my local dealer disassembled one for me so I opted for the ruger sr22 instead but i really like the m16 spr and brownells has an awsome but expensive stock with a built in folding monopod and adjustable cheek peace so I may still pick one up.

• 8 months later...

New to Tactical22 after purchasing an M4 Ops. I've been having a blast modding and shooting but one thing bothers me a bit and that's the sloppiness of the stock. I'm sure there a a whole bunch of ways to reduce the play but can I ask what some of you did specifically?

• 10 months later...

I have an SPR am not happy with the A2 stock and would love to install a collapsible one. Does anyone have any parts or part numbers regarding the parts I will need to do a conversion to the M4 style butt stock? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Does anyone have an original M4 stock laying around that they would be willing to part with? :confused:

• 2 months later...

Welcome to Tac.22. I used teflon tape - it is black, about .0015" thick and has adhesive on one side - I put some inside the stock and it tightened up the fit.

techmike, if you don't mind me asking - what kind of adhesive teflon tape did you use and where did you buy it?

Well, I don't know. I pick up a lot of junk, ah, good stuff, at garage sales, and I think this was in a box-o-stuff. It is .010" thick after removing the backer, 3/4" wide, black in color and absolutely no markings at all. I think it is similar to 7746A31, which can be found at http://www.mcmaster.com/#. Copy & paste 7746A31 into their search field and click find.

Hope that helps,

TM

alright, i went ahead and ordered the teflon mouse tape since it's less expensive than the mcmaster antistatic UHMW polyethylene tape. (amazon prime shipping too, heh). i'll try it out and report back. perhaps it'll be a great solution for the budget-minded.

the teflon mouse tape works great! i have no way of measuring the thickness of it but it looks pretty thin. thin enough for it to be translucent when working in a well-lit room. i went ahead and placed two layers (long strips) of the tape on the inside of the stock at the 12 o'clock, 3 o'clock, and 9 o'clock positions. did a test fit and noticed there was still a little play coming from the bottom channel of the stock, where the retention pin locks the stock into the 4 positions of the tube. so i went ahead and placed one layer of teflon tape just to the sidewall of the lower channel of the stock (to avoid messing with the retention pin), and did another test fit. worked great! absolutely no left-right wobble and slides really smooth. there is still a little front-back wobble, probably due to a small gap where the retention pin locks into the tube... but i'm ok with that.

over all, VERY pleased with this inexpensive fix for the stock collapsible stock. this will hold me over for awhile before getting a magpul. haha

thanks, again, for your help and suggestions, TM! time to go shoot.

• 11 months later...