Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

Airsoft/Paintball Accessories?

Mr. Jones

I keep finding certain products that appear on Airsoft websites as well as Hunting/sporting sites.

While I can usually spot the plastic or "toy" versions of real hunting and tactical equipment, some items are making me wonder.  For instance, some items like grips, fore rails, sights, slings/swivels, and bipods will show up on both types of website with the same part number.  Yet the item is much cheaper from the airsoft company than from the hunting/tactical company.

These items appear to be identical (same part number says it all), but am I missing something?

Like a set of certain iron sights I have my eye on (pun intended) costs $90 at most retailers;  but most airsoft companies are selling them for $30~40.00

Or identically numbered quick release sling swivels costing $30 from MidwayUSA and only cost $10 from Airsoft.whatever.com

UTG and Magpul seem to be the most dominant manufacturers I have found with the same products on different types of gun, for largely inconsistent prices.

Usually, I would see identical part numbers and assume they are the same, but with such a massive price difference between them, I am unsure.

I agree. You could use quite a lot of airsoft-gear.

I bought a tactical red dot, which I was gonna place on my Colt Umarex (which I don't have yet) for something like $25.

For the fun of it, I placed it on my Buckmark. It's still on there and I have a lot of fun with it. In the meantime, I ordered two more.

I found a bunch of stuff on airsoft websites for my AK47, but all the parts i tried to order were all on back order and the prices had gone up in price to within $5 of the gsg site prices and they didn't know when they would have any in stock :(

just for giggles:

during my airsoft browsing I found an electric airsoft version of the Sig 522, which costs $375.

I only paid $480.00 for the real version.. are people really that serious about hitting each other with rubber BB's?

when I was a kid, we shot each other with daisy repeaters,used pine cones as projectile weapons, and life was good; albeit full of bruises.  I'm all for reliving the tactical experience, I think, lol.. but that's a lot of money to spend on a rifle that wont even kill a squirrel.

Well, I agree that most of the airgun-weapons are too expensive, cause they're toys, nothing more.

However, before I bought the Colt Umarex, I wanted to buy a replica M4 or an airsoft version of it. Just to hang on my wall, cause to me it's my favourite type of rifle.

The replica's costed around $400 at least and while I was looking around a found a airsoft version for around $180. So I ordered one of those. I had to wait for more than 8 weeks before it was in the shop.

But only a week after I ordered the airsoft I came into a gun shop, where the Colt Umarex was and the friendly guy behind the counter said:" would you like to hold it?". So I bought that one as well. After 4 weeks I thought my permit was there and I was still waiting on the airsoft, which every week again the shop-owner said:" It will probably be there next week...", I thought they could keep the airsoft.

In the meantime, I'm still waiting on my permit and got since tuesday the airsoft. Put another red dot on it and had some fun with it in the house. Even thinking of making some targets to do some CQB in here.

It is fun and the gun looks very, very real. So don't know how much it will be hanging on my wall...

I can see buying airsoft for the fun value like you are talking about and even for the "cool factor" of having a fairly real looking combat rifle on display (I would buy a 249SAW in a frikkin heartbeat if it was less than $300). 

I can understand, and enjoy simulated operations.. would love to try it out, in fact.  It just seems like it has grown out of proportion.  During my perusal of many airsoft sites, I have come across a lot of blogs, videos, and reviews; and cost of your primary weapon is the least of it.

I've seen a multitude of people who are going out in full tactical gear;  ok, I can dig that- it's made for combat.  What I don't get is that a large portion of them are strapping on MOLLE plate carriers, bio and chemical weapons kits, kevlar helmets with full nightvision, 40 pound assault packs full of even more combat survival gear.   

You end up with someone that looks like they are ready for combat deployment into a hot LZ by some nameless security contractor... armed with rubber bullets.  How many thousands of dollars worth of equipment does it really take to simulate?  You could get the same level of realism by replacing those $100 dummy claymores (you carry around unused, in the bottom of your Blackhawk! 3 day assault pack) with two $1.50 Acme bricks painted OD green.  Be sure to "point towards the enemy."    ???

And while I'm ranting- nametapes and unit badges? seriously?  Something is wrong about a 15 year old boy, who is apparently a Gunnery Sergeant  ::)  wearing ACU MARPAT with "Ghost Face Killa" emblazoned on the nametape.

But I digress.

I'm sure there's a great number of these guys that could chew me apart in simulation.  That's cool, they could do it no matter what type of gear I had (and probably no matter what type of gear they had).  I'll just keep trying in my surplus, Viet Nam era ALICE tac vest and BDUs.  Maybe all the money I saved on Mil Spec gear would allow me to afford that 249...  then we will see who does the chewing.  ;D

I agree, a lot of them take it too far, to my opinion as well. Of course, it's there money, so if they enjoy themselves, let it be.

The only reason I bought the airsoft that I got is that the price was ok (although it is a toy, mind you one that could hurt)and it looked more than ok.

Otherwise, I would never buy it (even if I'm looking foor a GBB pistol, to practice at home  :P

I've only been hit with the spring loaded models, and only cheap pistols at that.  Though I imagine there is a good reason for all the facemasks I see.  I've got a 1911 and a 92FS replica that I primarily used to train my cat and shoot my wife in the butt, so obviously they don't hit very hard.

My wife on the other hand is decidedly more deadly  :bang:

All this talk about it does make me want to try out a more powerful rifle.  Maybe a Remington 700 or a Dragonov so I can snipe my buddy in the ass from 4 houses away.  It will have to wait, though; I am saving to buy a Sig 556 at the moment (and not the airsoft version  :grin: ).

Exactly, these toys are getting better and better. So, why wouldn't you.

I also have a spring-version of a Delta Elite. Don't ask me why but I am crazy about a Delta Elite.

Know the ammunition ain't cheap, so I never bought the real one. But for $15 I found a BB-gun version of it.

It looks pretty real and well it lays here a couple inches apart of me. I love it!

Because airsoft weapons and gear are moving toward almost perfect clones of real firearms many LEO agencies and govt units are moving away from using Simunitions and earlier generation airsoft to current generation gear.  It is now possible in many cases to have an airsoft M4 that is almost identical in weight and balance along with all the accessories on your normal/duty weapon and use it for training.

Many departments are actively researching this area of training.  I have witnessed and participated in this type of weapon/tactics training and it is big step up in what is available.  The use of lasers had its place in CQB and it many experts opinions that time is gone.  One of the advantages is that at typical CQB ranges airsoft pellets sting and that slight pain is a very effective teacher.  Also the newer (costlier) airsoft beat Simunitions in accuracy at mid-ranges.

pre-edit;  i should clarify that the individuals I am ranting about do not necessarily make up the majority of airsoft players.  The sport actually looks quite fun and exciting, and I may be giving it a try sometime this next year.  There just seems to be a fairly large contingent of those who i feel overstep the simulation's bounds, which I will explain in the following post.  I didn't want it to sound like I was coming down on airsoft in general, just some overzealous individuals. 

Because airsoft weapons and gear are moving toward almost perfect clones of real firearms many LEO agencies and govt units are moving away from using Simunitions and earlier generation airsoft to current generation gear.  It is now possible in many cases to have an airsoft M4 that is almost identical in weight and balance along with all the accessories on your normal/duty weapon and use it for training.

Many departments are actively researching this area of training.  I have witnessed and participated in this type of weapon/tactics training and it is big step up in what is available.  The use of lasers had its place in CQB and it many experts opinions that time is gone.  One of the advantages is that at typical CQB ranges airsoft pellets sting and that slight pain is a very effective teacher.  Also the newer (costlier) airsoft beat Simunitions in accuracy at mid-ranges.

I have seen a little about LE using airsoft for training, and think it's a great idea.  Just as was stated, the weapons are getting to be serious replicas.  But this is kind of core to my point-  I can see law enforcement or security personal using all the other tactical and protection gear to it's fullest.  For these guys, this training might save more than their own lives, and being familiar and comfortable with all that expensive gear is life or death.

I can even see where it might interest and prepare kids for a career in law enforcement or military, But for a group of teenagers playing capture the flag, it's just crazy how far they are taking it;  to spend maybe $5000+ on just gear and rigging before their time of actual duty comes; just makes my head spin.

Then again, I am also the guy who (as an adult) is very self conscious not to impersonate a soldier.  Sure, I go hiking and hunting with my surplus gear, make use of a duty belt and holster with mag pouches for my 30 rounders,  and I love the weaponry like an oily, naked, woman;  but I would die of embarrassment if someone saw me in full Mil Spec gear, molle body armor,  and god forbid, MARPAT with an EGA anywhere on my person. 

I think that's what got me started on this rant,  was seeing the kids wearing full on marine recon gear with ega, badge,  rank, nametape, dog tags, the whole nine yards.  You earn these things, they are not toys or a game.

I think that's what got me started on this rant,  was seeing the kids wearing full on marine recon gear with ega, badge,  rank, nametape, dog tags, the whole nine yards.  You earn these things, they are not toys or a game.

I am with 100% here.  I did not mean my post to demean or be insulting towards you or anyone else.  I apologize if it did.

my son is into airsoft scrimmages. i sometimes try out his accessories on my sig 522 and also on my FNH PS90. he recently has an eotech clone that i just tested on my ps90 at the range a few days ago. it held it's zero just fine. i'm going to purchase an eotech XPS clone for my my sig 522 with a 5x magnifier.  the problem with the green lasers are their adjustment screws cannot handle the repeated recoil on the 522. i fixed this with pouring melted candle wax into the screw adjustments.

the slings/grips/grippods work fine but not all clones are built the same. i've seen cheaper grippod clones fall apart during scrimmages. i have an authentic grippod and my son's grippod clone holds out just fine. normal airsoft velocity is around 300 to 400 fps. scrimmages restrict it below 400 fps and close quarters battle is limited to 300 fps. bb weights also differ. airsoft guns get more expensive because they are being made from metal instead of plastic (internals and externals).

DSC_0595.jpg

my son is 13 at the center of pix. those magazines hold 300 bb's but empties out real quick on select fire.

video of his new M4 shooting in the backyard

-a|ex

• 1 year later...

im going to go on an airsoft rant here since im an avid player myself..reason its ok to spend 300+$ on airsoft guns because it saw as the only legal way to actually get either training or actual use of combat tactics..several cqb tactics classes are availble almost exclusively for airsofters..inlcuding army instructors to teach it..

i typically use full deployment gear when playing because in my own head its more of a training thing to keep up skills cuz in the air force as a mechanic..you only get the training right before deployments..so in the meantime i use airsoft..works rather well..also its really fun and exciting considering the alternatives in delaware..um drinking at bars? id rather shoot someone in the face with a bb..lol.

I see your point about 15 yr olds who have never seen the inside of the military wearing patches and stuff..i dont condone it because imo its disrespectful for the people who did earn in but i typically keep thoughts to myself..though i wont wear anything i didnt earn

• 1 year later...

I had an air soft MP5 single shot when I lived in California - I was plagued by magpies in my back yard tree. I had an a$$wipe neighbor that would call the sheriff if he saw me with a firearm, for instance putting my shotgun in the truck on the way to hunt, so my pellet rifle was not am option. So, got this MP5 thing and was really surprised at the range and accuracy! It would knock feathers from a magpie in the top of the tree, and the sheriff got real tired of my neighbor - no rules against plastic BBs. ;D

I have recently acquired a licensed air soft version of a Troy battle rail for my Colt M4 .22. Fits the Colt receiver, (which kinda proves that Umarex is using air soft technology on their .22 rifles), and it is a real high quality item.

TM