Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

Iron sighting through red dot scope?

Mr. Jones

I see some rifles equipped with their iron sights looking through a red dot, which is usually positioned halfway down the receiver.

Is this effective?  I can maybe see how it would provide an aperture effect, but it seems like it would be hell to line up quickly.  Seems like it would be difficult to match the height of all three components.

I do plan to try it out once I find a set of iron sights for the rifle, but in the meantime, Educate Me?

Unfortunately, I have yet to find a compatable flip up front sight, can barely find a front sight at all...

Problem is the mount:

frontsight.jpg

Here is the same front sight I keep finding anywhere I look:

http://www.topgunsupply.com/sig-sauer-522-sight-set.html

I have issue with these sights already, with no way to adjust the front height and the rear sight adjustment is freefloating with no repeatable settings or "clicks"

The Sig 556 iron sights will work on this rifle.  They are spring loaded flip up with some pretty intuitive controls for front and rear.  But at $250 it's a little beyond what I really wanted to pay for iron sights. 

Still, I feel naked without them.

Im thinking based on the .22lr's range, Sig figures youll set'em and forget'em.  That rear sight appears to be similar to a FAL

That is a good point, and truly I doubt I would ever need to adjust them under normal usage.

But it's kinda like having headlight defrosters on your luxury sedan.  You may never use them, barely ever think about them;  but when you go to show it off to a friend, the first thing you show them is the fancy headlights  ;D

• 3 weeks later...

If you've fired enough rounds through a rifle with a red dot then you've noticed that you must keep the dot centered in the tube for consistant grouping. You must also maintain a consistant cheek weld. I myself don't cowitness my iron sights actually I ignore the front sight altogether and simply look through the rear apeture at the dot this forces me to center the dot and repeat my cheek weld without thinking about it.

I shoot with both eyes open and while I can aquire a target slightly faster with a dot only I produce more accurate shots using the rear apeture with minimal lag in target aquisition.