Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

BLACK POWDER ARMS

rodent.22

While out in Cody, Wyoming I entered every gun shop that was open. I had been thinking of buying an addition to several black powder replica pistols I own. As most of you who have been exposed to blackpowder arms know, they are not considered firearms in the modern definition and NO FFL licence or transfer is needed in their purchase. I found a Walker Colt .44 pistol by Uberti for $340.00 new. I said yeah I'll buy that, great gun- great price. The counter guy found the box, removed the price tag and boxed it up. Got it to the register and said "this is strange, it has a centerfire logbook number on it. This can't be right." He called the owner of the place who said "that's correct, if it's a blackpowder REVOLVER the transfer forms have to be filled out." I thought "wow, luckily it's blackpowder and not centerfire, so the out of state won't be an issue. It wasn't- However the state weinie we called the transfer into denied the transfer BECAUSE I DIDN'T CURRENTLY RESIDE IN THE STATE I WAS BORN IN. WTF? We called him on this ruling and he would'nt back down. I believe Wyoming has entrenched some anti-gunner Dem's in their firearm control infrastructure. Any Wyoming guys out there need to scope this out, your government is making an end run around your ability to purchase unregulated arms. By the way, I ordered a Paterson Colt pistol by Uberti online that night, no restrictions, from Florida Gun Works....delivering by US Mail.....

post-16-144124365915_thumb.jpg

Thats a real pain in the butt sorry to hear it, i have been thinking of a black powder weapons but iam not sure as i have had no training and dont wana blow myself up,

Dougie they are not difficult, a good adjustable powder measure, patches, and a tin of purcussion caps. Follow the procedures and cover each chamber with Crisco shortening to prevent a multiple discharge and you are good to go BOOM!!! The WORST thing is cleaning the blasted things after shooting..... >:D

Rodent do you have any flintlock rifles? I've considered getting one but don't know if there are any good ones available today?

Smurff that's one thing I don't have is a flintlock of any style. Having to powder the pan, etc. never appealed to me. I sure it would be fun if you had a shooting buddy into it. I'd much rather blame the caps on a percussion than my ability to prime and shoot a flintlock.....LOL

My Grandfather owned a 1700's Blunderbus (sp) shotgun (he used to clamp it in a vise each 4th of July load it with powder, wads and confetti and set it off) it was suppose to go to me, but it disappeared when my drug crazed cousin lived with him. He taught me in my teens how to make gunpowder for it from scratch. I recently realized a flintlock would be the ultimate world went to hell gun! Honestly, I'm not a survival nut it was just a random thought and I went looking on line and wasn't sure I'd purchase one.

Weeelll, Florida Gun Works e-mailed me yesterday and said the Paterson Colt was ''sold out''. 'Course it was listed in stock when I ordered it. A week later they let me know....I ordered a first model Colt Dragoon from the Possibles Shop, I actually spoke to a human, he had it in his hand. Shipped FedX today....We shall see.... :confused:

post-16-1441243660_thumb.jpg

Dougie you can google pietta .44 instruction manual and download instructions right off the net. Pyrodex fffg powder works well, #11 caps, and .454 balls. Get an adjustable powder measure, set it between 24-30 grains. Pour it in the cylinder chamber, start the ball in the mouth of the chamber and use the rammer to shove it all the way down. Don't leave ANY space between the powder and ball. A small ring of lead should be shaved off the ball when ramming it home. if you only get a partial ring move up to the next larger size ball. After charging each chamber BUT ONE, put a dab of Crisco shortening over the mouth of each loaded chamber to prevent chainfires. REMEMBER that these guns WILL fire and kill you or someone around you if dropped. Leave one chamber UNLOADED and ALWAYS carry these guns with the hammer down on that EMPTY chamber. NEVER cap the nipples unless you are in firing position. You can buy a capper that will make it very easy to deal with the percussion caps being installed on and off. ALWAYS clean the arm immediately after firing, these types of powders absorb moisture and will rust the gun quickly if not cleaned. This certainly is NOT a complete set of instructions and DON'T treat it as such, it's just to give you an idea of what's involved. Absolutely no "kick", and a LOT of fun.....Gary

The Possible Shop in Roswell, New Mexico got my 1st Model Dragoon here in 2 days. Beautiful gun, Uberti quality, over 4 lbs. It will definately get your attention...LOL Mrs. Santa snapped it up for it is my Christmas present. I'll start looking again shortly for a birthday gun and a Father's Day gun. They both fall in June...I think 2011 will be BLACK POWDER year....I'd like the Paterson Colt and the Walker Colt, both by Uberti. Then maybe an 1860 Colt. We shall see. The Possible Shop has great prices, a real nice guy. I'd definately buy from him again.

• 4 months later...

I didn't realize anyone was purchasing BP revolvers OTC because they are such a specialty item and most stores simply won't carry them.  With that said, Federal law says you can order one through the mail, and Wyoming State law places no restriction above that...as you know since you turned around an ordered one through the mail.

What probably happened is the fool at the store incorrectly and improperly entered the BP revolver into his normal "books" and when it became an issue did what such idiots usually do...bowed up and tried to pretend he had knowledge no one else does.  What can you do?  Unfortunately stores can exercise the right to refuse to sell and that is precisely the excuse and dodge this joint would use if challenged.  Also, gun transactions are not reviewed by anyone outside the seller's location unless a check is being made for a specific reason and because of this sellers can quite easily be ignorant of their options.

MY advice - for what it's worth, is to buy all your BP revolvers online.  In fact, make it a point to go to this shop and "handle" every BP revolver, then close by saying, "Yeah, I think I'll go home and order this one online" just to make the point.