Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

Dan Wesson .22

bdavison

If you are looking for a tack driver .22 revolver, the Dan Wesson revolver with a 8" barrel is by far the most accurate .22 pistol Ive ever shot.

The only other .22 that I think can hold a candle to it is the Trophy Citation.

I got my Dan Wesson passed down from my father, and it is incredible.

Ive actually managed to hit coffee cans at 200 yards with it. No joke.

He bought it in the early 80's for around 70 bucks. Now you'd be hard pressed to find one in decent shape for less than 900 bucks. Talk about an investment.

However, if you are lucky enough to locate one of these, and have money to burn...you wont be disappointed.

Its not really a tacticool .22, but what it lacks in asthetics, it makes up for in performance. It does kinda have that Dirty Harry "go ahead make my day" look.

The pistol also has a special barrel arrangement that utilizes a shroud over the actual barrel. The barrel threads into the gun, and then you gap it to the cylinder. Then the shroud is placed over the barrel, and tensioned with a threaded nut on the muzzle end of the barrel.

They made a 4", 6", and 8" barrel for them, as well as different shrouds. Both heavy and standard shrouds.

Anyway, its worth looking up if you are looking for an extremely accurate .22 pistol that is capable of outshooting a 10/22 rifle in the right hands.

I really like the gun. Most people dont know it has an adjustable trigger. It can be fired both double action, and single action.

There is a screw in the bottom of the grip. You can use it to adjust the single action aspect of the pistol. It can be adjusted from "hair trigger - not so hairy" LOL. It has perhaps the best trigger of any gun I've ever fired. Even match rifles with $600 triggers.

In single action, it breaks so clean, its like snapping a glass rod.

I wish I could take the trigger off of it and put it on every gun I own.

Its pretty much match grade out of the box. If you can see it, you can hit it.

Ive had countless amounts of people attempt to buy it from me, but it will never be for sale.

They also made a .357 thats identical to it. I have that pistol as well. The .357 excels when fed handloaded wadcutters.

Dan Wesson made quite a few revolvers, their early stuff wasnt very good, but when they switched the design and went to that barrel nut design, they went from dud to stud.

The company is still around, and lately they have been whipping out some incredibly accurate match grade 1911's. I plan to pick up one of their "Pointman" 1911 .45's pretty soon.

Im hoping they will make a Pointman .22 1911

One other thing....

If you do cross paths with one of these, and are considering it.

Look on the frame for "Monsoon, Mass".....

That's the ones you want. If its the later Palmer ones....skip it.

Also, when you get it, make sure it has the barrel wrench that came with it, and the feeler guage. Without these two tools, you wont be able to make it shoot straight, and it will shave lead off the rounds.

Its critical to have the barrel gapped to the cylinder with the feeler guage, and the barrel nut properly tensioned.

Back when they came out, people didnt read the instructions (big surprise) and then really whined about them. It was EEOC (Equipment Exceeds Operator Capability) for sure.

I havent shot the Freedom Arms .22 yet, but I have heard that they are VERY VERY accurate if you get the Silhouette version. The only problem I see...is the cost. Nearly $2300 for the match grade 10" version is quite expensive for a .22 pistol.