Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

Don't get the REASON for this barrel design!

wobblinwheel

While I haven't personally had any issues (that I know of) with the Colt/Umarex barrel design, simple physics tells me this could be a potential source of TROUBLE! Anyone who is even remotely familiar with the science behind "tensioned" barrels knows how CRITICAL the actual "torque" on said barrel actually is! The theory behind this type of barrel is the ability to "tune" the harmonics of the barrel in order to tweak it's accuracy, somewhat eliminating the need to "bed" the barrel in the stock. adjust barrel length, etc. One thing I do know is the "flimsiness" of the Colt barrel means it relies HEAVILY on proper tension just to keep it STRAIGHT during operation (heat, dirt, expansion, etc.). Although I have not tested this, I guarantee that if you vary the "torque" on your flash suppressor, or even MORE critical, the optional "compensator", you will surely experience drastic changes in your ACCURACY (especially at long distances)! This is why I can't understand why Walther (or Colt) opted for this design. I just read where NRA (American Rifleman Mag.) did comparison reviews on various models of "tactical .22's", and the Colt fared rather poorly in terms of ACCURACY. I can't help but wonder if his barrel tension was TOO LOOSE, or TOO TIGHT? How would you KNOW?? I believe a standard barrel would be CHEAPER to make, and more CONSISTANT as far as accuracy. While Colt acts as if the proper torque on the barrel is NOT all that important, logic dictates that it IS! Has anyone experienced any accuracy issues involving barrel tension? It can also loosen ITSELF due to heat expansion! Technically, the (somehow) use of a TORQUE WRENCH on the flash suppressor would be the only way of insuring consistent accuracy! Am I right? Any thoughts on this?

I guess you're probably right, not that I know much about this mind. I tend to find the gun is just too much fun to shoot sensibly!  ;D

I've got a lovely little CZ 453 varmint for the sensible stuff. Out of the box though I'm getting some pretty nice groups off the bench with my Colt. I would be a bit  >:( if I lost that just because I fitted something else to the front of it. The tensioned barrel was a negative when I was thinking about purchasing it. I just figured it'd be my fun gun and to hell with pin point accuracy.

Cheers

Glowin

Yeah I read that review- I believe it showed middle of the pack accuracy, but they felt obligated to comment about the Colt as though it had finished dead last. I thought it was an odd comment when I read it. The spread on all of them wasn't that drastic. 'Course I'm not a targetmeister..... :grin: The Colt barrel is a non-issue, really. This gun is a great plinker, but never intended to be a competition gun. WELCOME Wobblinwheel!

I think (hope) you're right about barrel design being a non-issue. I'm sure this is the case under "normal" usage. However, I have found if you RAPID-FIRE about 20 or so rounds, and immediately try a steady 50 yard target shot, you will likely see quite a stray pattern. You will also notice that after rapid-firing, the suppressor or compensator has gotten noticeably loose. I have the Umarex Compensator on mine, and that in itself makes this REALLY apparent! I guess because you can get such a good GRIP on it! This situation kinda-sorta makes you constantly check for a loose compensator while ripping-off ammo. (not stealing bullets, just shooting fast). I also wonder about possible "metal fatigue" in the flimsy barrel under possible excessive, unintentional tensioning. Another concern regarding the compensator, or anything else threaded to the end of the barrel, is the possibility of unnecessary damage caused by an inadvertent impact to the muzzle, as the threaded portion is so obviously fragile. Anyway, I still gotta ask: "What were they thinking?"

I have had my Colt for 1.5 years, and close to 5k rounds down the tube. No problems with the barrel, and I have found the rifle's accuracy is superb. With regards to the tensioned barrel, I have found the very small o-ring on the threaded end of the comp is fairly important. It is what centers the barrel in the shroud. With constant loosening and tightening for cleaning, my o-ring broke at some point and I never did find the darned thing. Accuracy went to hell without it. The only 0-rings I had in stock were the correct diameter, but thicker. So, I increased the chamfer at the muzzle end of the shroud to accept a larger o-ring. After tightening the comp to the desired torque, I used a center punch to dimple the comp at 12 o-clock as a visual indicator so I can consistently return to the same spot. A very small amount of lube on the o-ring works to keep the o-ring intact. I have not experienced the comp loosening up during use. Have you checked to see if your o-ring is missing?

:thumb:TM

That is an idea, the o-ring thing. The Umarex compensator has the oring up INSIDE of it, as it slips OVER the barrel about 4"! How in the WORLD WOULD YOU REPLACE THAT!!?? Wonder if the compensator even has one? I'll need to find out if this thing can be disassembled to get to the oring. So far, it ain't looking good. Now I wonder if some kind of lock washer may help, but then the barrel may not center. Umarex may have an answer, but they don't seem to know a lot about the accessories they sell.

You have to understand that Umarex like many others is a airgun/airsoft manufacturer first and foremost. Much of the design that was implemented in the Colt rifle was based off airsoft guns. They too have inner barrels of a similar design. Even the internal workings was reminiscent of airsoft designs.

I agree that tension will change the accuracy, but it has been used in firearms before....with a lot of negative and positive results. For example, the Dan Wesson pistol that I have uses a barrel nut to attach a shroud around the barrel. Early negative reports back when the gun came out were mainly due to improper tensioning of the barrel nut. Once people learned how to properly torque it, it rapidly became a favorite for competition shooters because the accuracy was incredible if adjusted properly.

I would suspect the same to be true for the Umarex/Colt rifle.