Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

CCI Blazer

Kilibreaux

That is what I use. You may get a misfire here and there, but pretty solid stuff. The bullet itself looks like it has a waxy coating on it. I like to think it helps the feeding process, but lead is pretty slippery anyway, and it might have little or no effect.

The Federal Lightning or Champion roundnose brand works just as well. Some guys think that the Blazers are dirtier than other ammo when they shoot.

Thanks for the feedback.  I'm a bit confused because I've spent considerable sums stocking up on high performance jacketed ammo to feed my GSG and P22, yet the soon to arrive Razorback is built to use the "cheap stuff" per se.  I've found Blazer in 50 round boxes online for $1.69 or $16.90/500 which is cheaper than Blazer bulk pack, and roughly half the price of Aguila Supermax.

I have not used it, and not saying it is good or bad. I just seem to lean towards jacketed or plated ammunition, as it is much easier to remove copper fouling than lead from a barrel. I bought a box of the Federal Premium last summer- it is also RNL, and it did not perform as well as the bulk pack, accuracy wise.

I found a box of 22 shells I bought 40 years ago and the price on the box (from K-Mart), was $.87 or $.97. Given that inflation has been at least 1000% since 1970, the manufactures were getting a lot more per box than they are now. It is no wonder why when we buy the less expensive bullets now the quality is not there. It would not be so bad if the manufacturers were honest about the fact that the same name or brand does not mean the same over the years.

• 2 weeks later...

I went through an ammo search over the last year trying to find the most reasonable priced ammo that would run 100% out of my boys and my Tactical 10/22s. Went from remington to federal bulk, to federal premium and then to Federal Automatch. I tried a box of Blazer and have never looked back. It has been flawless with factory mags in our 10/22s. I have had great luck with them in the BC steel lip mags too, however I do have a mag that has problems will all ammo. I am going to try the CCI Tactical stuff this year for major matches and just because it might be fun.

Kevin

I am going to try the CCI Tactical stuff this year for major matches and just because it might be fun.

Kevin

The same place that had Blazer for $1.69/50 or $169/5000 which makes it worth stocking up on.

I've had outstanding results with Winchester Super-X high vel "RN" ammo which is a copper plated 40 gr. bullet at 1300fps.  I'm seriously considering trying the Winchester "555" bulk pack with a 36 gr. copper plated bullet considering the online price, but that's primarily GSG ammo.

My CCI Blazer stock is mainly for the Razorback belt fed which seems damn near impervious to fouling buildup.

• 1 month later...

At one time, Kmart sold guns and ammo. I remember looking at guns there all the time. In fact, there was a discount store where I grew up called "Maxims.". It was pre-Kmart. They used to have barrels of 1903 Springfields and other surplus rifles. Yes, barrels of these surplus rifles.  My friend bought one of the same type of rifles that Oswald used. A 6.5mm Italian rifle. Name starts with a "c". Anyway, he paid $12.97. This was before 1963.  I remember that because I wanted a 1903, but I think they were $25. Plus, I figured I could always get one, as it seemed they were practically giving them away like all the rest of the War surplus.

I guess this is a bit off-topic but I too remember looking at the Sears catalog with my brother and oogling over surplus Mausers on sale for $19.  Like you I seem to remember the Carcano being for sale as well for about half that price - MAIL ORDER no less.  This was just before the GCA '68 came along and put an end to the true "golden era" of gun buying.

Then again, I guess the NFA of 1935 is what really ended the "great old days" of being able to pick up a Thompson SMG down at the local hardware store.

well, CCI Blazers is my "go to" bulk ammo, havent been disappointed yet...def a lot less misfires, ftf and fte with these, although not 100% depending on the gun/rifle its acceptable esp for plinking purposes

grouping isnt bad either i will try to get some sort of "low tech" accuracy testing sometime next week

hehe :beer:

From a cost-value standpoint Blazers are pretty much impossible to beat unless other similar brands are on sale.  I seem to be blessed - or cursed, with .22's that shoot pretty much everything equally so I am hard pressed to justify paying substantially more for equal performance.  Sure, I like to buy and try different brands and I tend to prefer to carry the hypervel stuff in my P-22, but when it comes to laying in a LARGE supply of .22LR for any SHTF scenario, $170/5000 is a bit hard to ignore.

Also to be considered is that the hypervelocity stuff really does place heavier stress on the guns and this could become a factor in any long-term "survival" situation.  Pistols that might shoot tens of thousands of rounds of highvel ammo might last only a few hundred rounds or less with some of this late-issue hypervel ammo.  One reason specifically to choose Stingers or 30 gr. Supermax over Velocitors or Interceptor 40 grain ammo is to lower slide impulse in compact handguns and thus derive higher close-range "punch" while avoiding extreme slide-shock loads...maybe this is where one justifies picking up an 8 or 9 shot .22LR revolver(?)!

just came from oak tree gun glub, i think thers an event goin on cuz it was PACKED!!! ther wer pirates, cowboys, eric estrada... and ppl from CSI. its hollywood over ther rite now. but any ways, i shot half way thru the 525 pack... flawless! no jams. it shot identically to the federal 550, but the CCI seems cleaner. i shot some zombie silhouettes...easy see shots. but i forgot to take pics. :( but ya.. to sum it up, id buy some more wen theyre onsale... but im focusing on stockin up on STINGERS... sta clarita walmart got em for $5.47/50 rnd... and they dont have a limit like the duarte walmart.

That's a great price on Stingers, but even at that the cost of running a thousand rounds through the Razorback is prohibitive.

I'm also looking at limiting my use of hypervelocity ammo to preserve durability though a properly modified GSG SHOULD be able to handle a whole lot of Stingers before any problems crop up.

Bear in mind that Stingers have a thicker case in the web and rim section which means they demand a hard firing pin strike....IF you have any issues with misfires, don't blame the ammo, pull the bolt and check the firing pin nose width.  A bit of stoning reduced the width of my firing pin's nose by half and suddenly misfires of ANY ammo magically went away.  I ordered a spare firing pin to keep on hand and discovered it was the same width as my factory pin AFTER I had stoned the factory pin down....clearly GSG is fine-tuning their product as they go and that's a good thing.

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...