Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

Red Dot on a 17 HMR?

Jan

Hi there,

still shopping for the new toy - now I changed my mind and will keep my Savage 64 (22LR) and want to add a 17 HMR. Question is - does a Red Dot scope makes sense on a rifle like that? In my opinion it does on a .22, with the limited range of maybe 100 meters I do not need any magnification...... now - a 17 HMR's range is maybe double, ..... still possible to shoot with a Red Dot?

I would say yes, still not a "long range"-rifle, and shooting with a Red Dot is just too much fun. Any input on that? Does anyone shoot a 17HMR with a Red Dot mounted? Or is there another optic I am not thinking about (besides the classic scope)?

Let me know! Thanks,

Jan

17HMR is such an accurate cartridge and at a much greater distance than .22lr. I would get a dot that had two sizes like the Millet DMS or even something like a Eotech (like my Avatar) even if not calibrated for the .17 it should be quite serviceable and the best of both worlds

Thanks!

17HMR is a funny caliber....... in my opinion still affordable, way more performance then the .22, a very good compromise for affordable target-shooting.

Others say it makes no sense at all, compared to the .22 way to expensive, and for precision shooting not good enough. The price for .223 ammo is not far off, and those ones are really a different world!

Well, I guess there are always (at least) 2 opinions. Reality is (for me), I will never shoot targets in a 1000 yards distance, I can afford the 17 HMR ammo as well, most people say it's a lot of fun to shoot them, the rifles are way cheaper then CF's, talking about reliability - my life does NOT depend on the functions of my rifle, and - again - it's just another rifle in the collection!

Jan

Good point. I ended up with the Savage 93 in 22 Magnum and the Bushnell Trophy Red Dot. Lots of fun (!) to shoot with the Red Dot, but I can tell that the rifle outperforms the scope....... my plan now is to get (finally) a tactical 22 (most likely the Ruger SR22), put the Red Dot on that one, and get a good scope with magnification for the Savage (which by the way I love!!!).

Jan

• 3 months later...