Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

bore sight

I have never liked sticking things in the barrel, too easy to scratch the crown or damage the rifling. And with the Colt, there is the flash hider to deal with. When I zero in a new scope, I don't initially use a target or bore sighter,  I use a bench rest or bi-pod and just pick a spot on the backstop, fire one round, determine where the round impacted, and with the rifle still at rest, dial the scope cross hairs to the point of impact and it should be pretty darn close.

TM

You can do the same thing as a bore laser...by just removing the upper, clamp it up in a vise, look down the bore and align it with a target....then adjust scope to match. It will get you close enough to zero it the rest of the way with a few rounds down range.

I never gave much credibility to bore sights. Mainly because they dont figure in bullet drop. They are pretty much only good to get it "on paper" at short ranges.

I have a Laserlyte bore sighter- it does .22 to .50 cal. Works quite well, the guys at work wear me out doing their guns too. The adapters that center it in the barrel are plastic, I don't think I've damaged anything so far....I got it at Wallyworld, $40.00 .....  :beer:

Ive used the "in the chamber" type before. I think they work better than the "stuff in the muzzle" type mainly because they are centered with the bore easier.

Ive never seen them for .22 though. All the "in the chamber" ones Ive seen are centerfire cartridge.

I have one you put in the barrel with rubber collet. I've only used it to zero in the laser on my home defense 12ga, and the Crimson Trace on my 1911. You have to be pretty forcefully brutal to do damage to the barrel, I'm always very careful around the crown. In both those cases I wanted the point of aim of the laser and gun to meet at a certain distance within the house.

However as was mentioned I don't know about using it with a flash suppressor or muzzle break.