Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

LC9

asmurff

I went with my Hunny Bunny today while she got her Ruger LC9 for concealed carry. I like it and think it will be a better purse gun than the Kel Tec PF9 she was looking at. I think it will be a better shooting pistol also, it has more heft and is wider than the PF-9. The PF-9 is hardly any bigger than my P-3AT which is rough on the hand with .380. Hopefully we can get out one afternoon next week to shoot it.

Sad to say we're having trouble with the LC9. It appears to me and I could be wrong, we're getting light or no firing pin strikes.

Yesterday my wife's Dad and I took it to the range to try it out. First magazine of 7 no problems at all. Starting on the second mag it was every other or every third no fire. Tied 2 more mags same problem. Brought it home cleaned it throughly with brake cleaner and very lightly lube it.

Took it out agian this morning it did it twice out of 25 rounds. I'd have liked to get in and cleaned the firing pin chamber/slot, but looking at the parts breakdown it appears you need to remove the rear site from it's beveled slot to do so, I don't have those type of tools. I think there is grit in there I just can't get at.

I took it back to the gun store we use, because they are very good about taking care of things like this and have the tools to do that if necessary. The owner said he'd get with Ruger to see if they had any ideas or recalls and if it wasn't something he could fix easily he'd warranty the gun through them and replace it. Since this will be Hunny Bunny's primary concealed pistol I want to make doubly sure it is reliable.

I trust S&S Weapons (our gun shop) and Ruger to make this right. Sure am glad I don't deal with big box stores on guns.

• 2 weeks later...

It is running like a charm now. I cleaned it good still had some problems but not as bad. Our gun shot gunsmith cleaned it including the channel for the firing pin, and nary a problem since then. To get the firing pin out and gain access to the channel you must remove the rear sight, someone had a brain fart on that design.