Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

FNP 45 Tactical First Outing

imschur

The pistol absolutely despised Winchester USA 230 grain ball ammo. Many frustrating stove pipe jams. On the other hand it devoured Federal Gold Medal Match. The gun is very accurate, low recoil and a joy to shoot. It did exibit an unexpected behavior but I want to check the manual before I say anything.

The magazines are a bitch to get 15 rounds in. The mags feel like they are teflon coated or something, combined with sweat that added to the magazine difficulty. As expected it did get easier as the day went on.

I love this gun.

Mine doesn't do that unloaded, and just locking it, and inserting mags. I guess you're talking about after shooting a mag, and inserting a new one..Didn't have that problem either, last week, But I got about 300 rounds I'm going to put it through this afternoon. I'll get back with you..

To me it looks like the slide stop notch appears to be milled at a very slight angle rather than 90 degess to the slide. Not sure if that's the design or not. Other than that the system appears to be fool proof regardless of my proof to the contrary. I cant seem to recreate it at home with an empty magazine.

I really ought to start a new thread..."Confessions of a Newbie Handgunner".. ;D

I took the S&W 40, and the FNP45 to the range yesterday. Shot around 150 rounds out of each. Both guns worked flawlessly. With one exception with the FNP45.

You know...You're sitting at the range. You got your bullets all out on the little table.. You go to reload the mag of the FNP45. You guessed it..Loaded it with S&W 40's...

The whole time I'm loading the mag, I'm thinking..

"Man..I must be really getting good at this. I'm just loading this mag with barely no effort"

Put the Mag in the FNP45..Sighted up on the target at 25 feet. Pulled the trigger, and missed the target by about 18 inches....

I'm a newbie to handgunning..(About 2 months)..Grew up in Mississippi, squierrel hunting with shotguns, and deer hunting with rifles.. Had shot a few hand guns, but never to try achieve proficiency.  So in 2 months I have gone from (Wow..I hit the target, to working on my grip, stance, etc... to where I can shoot around a 6" pattern at 25 feet..)...My son pisses me off..Is there such a thing as a natural? He set's up a target at 25', picks up the gun in a perfect grip, weaver stance, and just nails bull, after , bull, so after about 2 clips there's nothing in the middle but a hole...But I digress..

Drew...

I will tell you that the FNP 45 shot the 40 S&W without a single misfire, jam, etc..except for the last round. Now accuracy was absolute awful..  ;D I was really getting discourgaed by the end of the clip.. thinking..."Damn.. this gun aint worth anything..." ;D

When I got the last round out, and I realized what I had done, I just shook my head ???

And then I loaded up 45 ACP's, and shot another 100 rounds through it flawlessly, and perfect accuracy, at least in my sons hands, Newbie accuracy in mine.. ;D

I figure if that FNP45 can survive me and my screwups, and still shoot like that, it must be a hell of a gun....

Hope you get yours worked out buddy! :beer:

Jeez buddy that could have lead to a really bad day with all that unsupportd brass in the chamber. Someone was really watching out for you this day.

Youth often has its advantages in shooting. Ill bet this just feeds your boys desire to shoot even more.

Glad to hear your enjoying the sport. Wait until we get you into a Gibson L5 class 1911  ;D

I'm loving this gun more and more everytime I go to the range....Just got back and pumped a couple of hundred rounds through it. Not one Jam, Stovepipe. Just round after round of tight groups, anywhere from 10 to 30 feet. The ammo is killing me...(Just the target stuff so far is costing about $100 for 250 rounds for 45 ACP... So when I went to go buy another $100 dollars worth at the gun store, when I finished shooting at range.....Well you'll see in my next thread..Let's just say I found a solution.... ;D

So far after about 500 rounds through the gun...(Including the one mag mag of 40 S&W by accident :-[)

This gun just keeps shooting better and better....I'm loving it...Trigger pull nice and smooth, while not mushy, and accuracy and action just keeps getting better... Now about While I was buying Ammo.... ;D

Glad to hear your enjoying the sport. Wait until we get you into a Gibson L5 class 1911  ;D

Yep...The Gibson L5 was my dream guitar ever since I heard my 1st Wes Montgomery record back in the 60's.

gibsonL5ces.jpg

One of those things you save a lifetime for, and finally you say hell with it, every man deserves a dream.

Being a newbie to handgunning, I don't know enough to know what my "L5" will be, but I'm on the lookout, trying to buy quality stuff, and get a feel for the whole thing. I learned one thing from my years as a guitarist. To get the most enjoyment out of it, get quality stuff. Doesn't have to be the most expensive axe in the world, just good quality and workmanship..I figure the same goes for hand guns, and that's the principles I've been going by in my handgun purchases.

I figure it'll take me a few years to get to the point where I know what my "L5" is, and have my profieciency to the point I feel I deserve it.. In the mean time I'm really having a ball honing my skills, and learning something new and a getting immersed into a whole new culture...

Just as a slight intro..Here's me playing my beloved L5.

(Concentrate on the guitar, not the face.. ;D).

Drew...What did you find out about your FNP45? I've shot another 200 rounds this weekend, and it worked flawlessly once again...With one exception. One bullet when being sent to the barrell and out the mag, got hung up on the receiver on the barrell. Couldn't release the mag..It was dead stuck. Stuck a pocket knife in there and helped the bullet in the barell. Basically just touched it and flew out of the mag...Only real problem I have had, but it bugs me. The more I get into this stuff, I'm figuring it out you want your gun to work everytime...

Am going to take all 3 mags apart, as well as the gun and do a thourough cleaning. Try it again and see where we're at..

I shot 100 rounds of standard Winchester target loads through it...

Shot around 300 rounds of the same stuff with no problem.....

Have shot 500 round of Remington UMC target stuff, and had a couple of hangs with that as well...Maybe I'm getting paranoid, but I've come to the conclusion, that if the gun aint 100% reliable, how good is it really???

While at the range I brought my old S&W 38 special revolver, and it shoots just as well and reliable as when I bought it 30 some odd years ago. From a range of about 10 feet and closer, that little 38 snub nose is just as good as it gets..Simple, easy, dependable..I'm getting the same way with Beretta's since I just started Semi-Autos a few months ago. But it bugs me when the FNP hangs...Got it in small pieces and cleaning as I type..

A few things to consider. Most semi autos function will improve with use. Not all pistols work well with all ammunition. If you are using a gun for defense. It's important to find ammunition that is 100 percent reliable with your handgun. Look to the premium ammo for that application. Federal Hydrashocks, Winchester Silvertips, Cor Bon, Golden Sabers, Hornady etc. Find one that works and stick with it (for defense). For cheap shooting the Winchester USA, Federal Ammerican Eagle and Remington UMC stuff is all generally pretty good but it is still ecoconomy ammunition. If you want to go for group sizes look to something like the Federal Gold Medal Match. While other ammo is capeable of great accuracy the Federal is near the best in a lot of weapons.

Shooter fatigue and a weak grip can cause malfunctions.

Let me simplify: Dont buy an Epiphone and expect a Les Paul Supreme quality. Both can make a lot of noise and are fun but one has a lot more attention to detail.

How many round through the pistol, if it isn't 250 to 500 I'd leave the mags alone, especially if it only happended once.

A little over 600 rounds..But as Drew pointed out all of it is target round stuff. I'll pop another 5 or 600 through it and keep an eye on it..Thanks guys... 8)

(In Retrospect I've popped around 2500 rounds of 9mm through the Beretta, and not one problem from out of the box to this point. Did I mention I love this gun...LOL.. :beer:)

Gee...If this FNP45 survives my stupidity...It's got to be a hell of a gun.. ;D

How have I sinned...Let me count the ways...

1) Went directly from the gun show, without cleaning the anti-rust crap out of it, and shot 50 rounds. Had 2 stove pipes..Figured it was a problem with the gun, till I got back home and READ the manual..You're supposed to clean all that crap out, and lube it BEFORE shooting...Did so, and gun fired the next 200 rounds trouble free...

2) Ran a 14 round clip of S&W 40 through it by accident...Action was fine, but groupings were horrendous..Lucky I didn't blow my dang hand off... :o Fired the next 250 rounds fine but with one Failure to Feed..

3) Had the one Failure to Feed..Started REALLY looking at the gun, and reading Imshur's posts about spongy mags.. As I put the mags in the gun had that mushy feeling as well...It had occured over time..Started watching the mag mechanics of locking and unlocking, and down inside the mag chamber in the receiver I discovered the locking mechanism, that unlocks the mag, when you press the release button. No I had not cleaned it since I bought the gun, or lubed it...Although I had taken the mags apart and cleaned..Cleaned the locking mechanism, and lubed it, and it was amazing how the mags just snapped in, loaded or unloaded...Took it to the range late last night and fire a 100 rounds through it...NO PROBLEMS....

I have always shot revolvers to this point in my life, but I'm gonna get the hang of these semi autos... :beer: