Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

Beretta PX4 Storm F, 9mm..While I was buying Ammo....LOL..

Tal

Yep...Pricing UMX ammo 250 rounds for my FNP45, and just started getting bummed..Everytime I go to the range and practice it's costing me around $100..

I've got a 22 NEOS, And while a great fun and a cheap way to build skills, I just like the bigger caliber guns. Asked the guy behind the counter what a pack of 9mm UMX 250 round  would cost me, and when he said around $50, I got interested. I've been wanting a 9 for about a month and have shot a few at the range, like the glock17, sig 22, And the Beretta Storm. ..

So..You guys know what happened next..Right??? :beer:

Yep...I own another handgun.. Berrata Storm F. Came with 2 17 round mags, 3 extra back grips for fit. and I bought 500 rounds for what I'm spending for 250 rounds for my 45....(It's the one with the rotating barrell, to help prevent jams..We'll see)..

Of course the wife was extremely happy, that I'm looking our for her safety.. ;D

Going to clean all the anti rust crap off, give it a good oiling and go pump some more rounds through tommorw. Give you a range report tomorrow...

Damn you Drew...This stuff is starting to remind me of the time I had 17 guitars.. ;D :beer:

P.S..

Forgot to Mention..While there, the guy had just got a special order in (9 months of waiting) for one of those Kal Tech PR30's (22 MAG with 30 round clip..) Before giving it to his customer he actually brought it out and let me handle it..If it shoots as good as it feels, it's gonna be a great gun...Yep..He said he couldn't stand it and shot 2 mags through it, with no problems of any kind, right out of the box..

I think 17 guns would be a starting point.  In my safe they reproduce like rabbits. I think I have had 5 show up so far this year. That doesnt include the rifles that get assembled from parts  ;D

Congrats on the new gun.

We still need to get you in an AR-15 and then add a .22 conversion or upper. Heck you can get a 9mm conversion too

This is living my  dear friend

Just got back from the Range with my PX4..

I shot 250 rounds through the gun. I performed flawlessly. My only gripe is the mag springs are so stout, I could never get the full 17 rounds in them.. I also noticed at about 10 feet, I was pulling a little to the right..Still nice tight pattern, but a little to the right. As I moved the target out to 20 feet, and then 30 feet. pattern got a little wider, but more pronounced to the right...

So I had a talk with the owner of the range.

1st...He cured the hard to load mag problem, with a mag speed loader, which he readily sold to me for $30.00.. Best $30 I ever spent. Works on everything from 32 cal to 45 cal, and my poor old sore thumb is so thankful..

2nd..Told him about my pulling to the right and showed him my targets. He said it was unsual to be pulling to the right since I'm a left handed shooter. Then he had me hold the gun in shooting position. He spotted it right off the bat. Too much bite with the trigger finger. I had my trigger finger stuck into the trigger to the 1st joint. Told me to just have the pad of the finger on the trigger....Did as I was told, and Voila!!!! no more pull....And this had been an ongoing problem with all my guns..

Gun had very little recoil, and I practiced 2 quick shots at various distances to see how quickly I could reaqure target. Damn little gun shoots like a dream, and was able to quickly reaquire target, and shoot tight groups..

That's it for now.. Just bought 1000 more 9 mm rounds for more fun this weekend. Nothing exoctic just UMX stuff for targets. My brothers coming down from Austin, with his 9 so we'll be shooting up a storm.. We may go to an outside  range and shoot his mini 14. We'll be bringing out the arsenal. He's been shooting  for several years, and is stoked that I finally came around.. ;D

It's up now.

Additionally spend some time using a rest and see where the guns are shooting without your influence. Adjust the sights or compensate where applicable.

Thanks once again Drew..I'm practicing up to get a little skill and can use all the hints I can get..Thanks..My nephew, (HPD homicide dectective) may come with us as well....(If his wife will let him go...Yeah..He's caught a ration of it from me on that... ;D) He found out I was a newbie, and offered to meet me at the range in the future, to give me some pointers...Looking forward to that., but he's one of those guys I might see everyday for a month, and then not see him for 3..So I aint holding my breath.. ;D

We have (50) PMR-30s on back order. Haven't seen even one yet.

The one I saw was at Carter's Country in Houston. The Pasadena store. He brought it out of the back and showed it to me, but I didn't want to get on the wait list..(For approximately 9 months..)..

http://www.carterscountry.net/

They are a little pricey, and don't sell bulk ammo, but I keep an eye open for their weekly sales.

I took out my Storm again this weekend and ran 1000 rounds through it. This gun is so reliable I don't even think about it. Not one Stove Pipe, misfeed, misfire...NOTHING...Just mag after mag, light recoil, easy to see sights, and easy to reaquire target. It's just like my little NEOS. I'm coming to the conclusion that Beretta makes on hell of a handgun...

Talked to my brother in law yesterday Asmurff. He has a 92FS, and was raving about it as well. He's currently in South America working as a superintendent for a large refinery project, but promised this Christmas, we would A/B the Storm and the 92...Looking forward to it.

Been to the range almost daily, the last couple of weeks. Honing my skills with the 22LR Neos, for about 2 to 300 rounds, and then slowly, delibileratly, shooting the storm..Concentrating on Grip, trigger pull, trigger finger placement, breathing, non distraction techniques, (What I call meditation....Locking out all distractions..) and have been improving.. Then I move on to double taps, and triple taps, practicing target aquistion.

I have met some of the nicest people in this new hobby of mine. Everybody tries to be helpful when they see you're they're and seriously trying to improve your skill level. Although like Guitar Playing, you'll find plenty of helpful people that don't know what they're doing, but mean well.

I'll go to the range, take my time, and while loading a new mag, etc.. I'll look at the targets of the other shooters. Some of the groupings I've seen some of the Bad A's, shooting have been ridiculous, how close they are. Those nail driver guys, I make a point to talk to in the lounge area, and pick up tips and tricks.

I've talked to police officers, soldiers, competition shooters, and all kinds of great shooters, and I listen carefully. Yesterday I ran into a guy shooting at 18 yards a 1911, that was all tricked out. (We're talking thousands with the gun, specialized ammo, upgrades... This guy took about an hour to shoot 3 mags. 1st shot, 1/2" off dead center. You would have thought the world came to an end. He then pulled a rest out of his bag, and adjusted sighting, to where he was driving nails.. And all this took about 45 minutes of fiddling with the sites, taking the gun apart and fiddling around. When he was happy, he shot a mag with the rest, and just drove nails. Then he put up the rest and fired one mag, isoceles postion, and the nail driving continued.

Then he packed up and headed to the lounge. I met up with him there and struck up a conversatin. Showed him my groupings. All within about 3 inches at 25 feet, but the low and to the left continues...Told me I was gripping too hard. He knew the owner of the range and he pulled this up..

http://www.hsoi.com/resources/correction_chart-lefthanded.gif

We talked about 20 minutes...Went back in, and concentrated on not tightening up, and like magic, hitting the center groupings, without having to adjust my aim, for compensation.

I'm really having a ball with my new hobby and hanging with fellow shooters like you, who have been gracious enough to share your experience and insites!!! 8)

What a great sport!! 8)

I have saved files on the puter with both left and right hand correction targets. I'm a leftie, but always fire at least one magazine when practicing with my right hand. You might check you tube for videos from Doug Koenig he has several videos on stance and proper grip. Since he is one of the top pistol competitors in the US I think he knows what he is talking about.

Tal, Looks to me like you need to get into reloading. Nice report on the Storm. Thanks!

PS - 17 guitars?? Have you ever been to a Vintage Guitar Show? I got to go to one in Arlington Tx a few years ago. Wow!

God yes I've been to vintage guitar shows....And I've got the dent in my pocket book to prove it.... ;D :beer:

I'm thinking about getting into reloading, but I think my next purchase is going to be a full fledge AR15, probably a Bushmaster clone....Then I'll be able to shoot 223 and 556 Nato stuff....Then...voila...drop in the 22LR conversion kit, and I'm shooting 22LR...I'm a little concerned with the accuracy of the 22LR conversion VS. 223...Rifling etc...But I'm still doing research. Was thinking about the dedicated 22 tactical, but for a couple of hundred dollars more you get a full fledged AR....Still researching....

Well...With 2 exceptions....Both by Kal Tec.

The PLR22 and the PMR30...After looking around, I'm beginning to think these models are in actuality unicorns, or a good day of fishing..."Man I had one yesterday...Should have come by then.."... ;D

I'm going to a gun show this Sunday to hunt the elusive PLR22... The PMR30 facinates me, but the 22 mag stuff only is kind of a turnoff, but kind of cool at the same time. Kind of undecided. Really doesn't matter...I'm beginning to think Kal Tec just advertises these guns, and sells a few for guys to post youtube vids of, but after that it's like hunting for that lost treasure of the sierra madre. After every show, and internet search I can see Walter Huston in my mind laghing at the sand fall between his fingers.... ;D