Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

Hurricane Irene

imschur

We have a DuraHeat kerosine heater for emergencies, with a propane torpedo heater as a back-up. To bad our house came with a gas fireplace I'd have rather had a traditiional one. Enough sterno & firewood (fire pit outback) to cook for a very long time. I've lived without electricity for long periods and can deal with it. We do have the capability (solar & dynamo) to charge cell phones, ni-cad & nimh batteries, B&N Nooks and our emergency radio. I hope to add a gas generator to that sometime in the future. We keep plenty of freeze dried and staple type foods in the house to last for a lengthy time and are constantly adding to it a bit at a time.

I've got a 6500 watter..Will keep the lights on and the frig...

I've been thinking about a 30KW natural gas generator. Comes with a transfer switch and automatically when sensing a loss in power, cuts you off from the light company, and transfers to your natural gas generator fed by the gas lines..

It's nice to run everything, including AC.. The price is the big concern, when you start comparing number of times you're going to use it... But ever since hurricane Ike, that 3 weeks running off a generator, waiting in gas lines, etc..Sure does make you think about forking over the bread..

http://www.generac.com/Residential/