Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

Cutting down barrel

I really want to shorten by barrel down to 11.5".

Planing to put fake can and with stock 16" and the can, this thing is non tactical, feels like I carry 50 cal LOL

Anyway, any one with experience of doing it them selfs?

I know I can do it and I have tools, just dont know if anyone done it and what are the tips.

this is the look im after, its not my gun, just found this pic online.

post-808-144124374616_thumb.jpg

There's not a good manual way to properly thread the barrel concentric to the bore. To try it with a die will probably leave you dissatisfied with the results. With patience you can probably file the muzzle pretty square after cutting. Then finish everything off with a few specialized tools for facing and crowning. A correct muzzle face and crown are crucial for accuracy if thats important to you. If you can get it in the lathe thats your best bet. There's other ways of achieving the crown. Google "11 degree target crown"

There's a few links here http://www.silencerforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?217-Threaded-Barrels-Barrel-Threading

Tornado gets a lot of business as does Adco. There's a lot of guys who can do it for a reasonable price. Im off to bed now. Ill add some more links tomorrow when both eyes are open.

Also keep in mind this is a simple job for any machinists/machine shop as long as they know what you want

the Colt/Umarex does not lend itself to shortening the barrel. The barrel is about 5/16'' in diameter. The outer barrel schroud is capped with a hole that centers the actual barrel with the flash suppressor. You can buy a reverse flash suppressor and thread adaptor that gives the barrel that 11'' look.....

post-16-144124374632_thumb.jpg

post-16-14412437464_thumb.jpg

post-16-144124374649_thumb.jpg