Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

Am I the only one?

wobblinwheel

I've been reading "all over the place" on this forum that (seemingly) most people are having big problems with Winchester ammo. I have an earlier version of the Colt/Umarex M4 Carbine, and it "gobbles-up" the Winchester 555's and the Subsonics. I am right on the verge of finishing my SECOND brick of 555's, and my first brick of the subsonics. They have been performing flawlessly in my finicky-ass rifle ever since I've had it (at least as flawless as can be expected of any .22 ammo). The very first ammo I ever shot in my rifle was the Wally-World Federal bulk ammo, at about $16 for 500. After that, I tried the Winchester 555's at $18 a box, and have been "hooked" ever since. The Winchesters have a much bigger "hole" in them (hollow-point), and make a good "SPLAT" when they hit an unsuspecting varmint! The "truncated cone" Subsonics do the same, but much quieter (40 gr.). Of course, most Remington's won't even chamber all the way, and "everybody's favorite", CCI, is "iffy" at best. My brother gave me a box of Blazers, and they had SERIOUS chambering issues as well.

So, am I the only one out there who is having such good luck with Winchester? And how come CCI's DON'T work well in my rifle?? Do you suppose the QUALITY CONTROL (or manufacturing practices) of these guns is such that they all have "A MIND OF THEIR OWN"???? At the price of some of these guns: Why the hell is THAT?!

Mind of their own is a good bet???. I shoot with enough people monthly using 10/22s to know each has their favorite or maybe it is the rifles favorite ammo. Some swear by the Blazers, others like Winchesters, I like the Federal auto match. I seen people use each others ammo in their guns and have problems, it made no difference if the owner of the ammo's gun ran great with it.

Funny thing, when I tried Blazers in my rifle, the first round chambered about 3/4 way in, and had to use a cleaning rod to push it out! Tried a few more, and same thing. Gave up on the Blazers. Later on, tried some CCI subsonics, and after a few shots, they started the same shit, just the same as Remington "Golden Bullets" did. I can always tell if certain ammo is going to give trouble when I operate the charging handle to load a round, and the bolt doesn't have that firm-sounding metal-to-metal sound when the bolt slams shut. With the Winchester & Federal, the bolt slams shut with authority! I'm sure the unusually tight chamber diameter on the Colt contributes to it's lack of tolerance for certain ammo, and I have thought about ordering a new barrel. It's my understanding that the newer Colt's will tolerate almost anything, most likely because of a more "standard" chamber diameter. I asked Anna Dalton at Umarex about this, and she either didn't know, or was reluctant to divulge any improvements done to the new rifles. By their responses to my questions, I'm not at all sure they would send me a newer barrel, even if I just wanted to BUY IT!

My rifle even shoots stuff like the Aguila 60 gr "sniper subsonics" just fine, when logic says otherwise. About 50% of the reviews on this stuff says they won't cycle in semi-autos. They shoot great in my usually finicky rifle. Strangely, if I clean the chamber with solvent, the first couple SSS rounds might "stick" in the chamber, as if the lubricant on the bullets has to build-up a bit in the chamber to let the rounds "slide" in. Kinda like SPIT on a dry.............never mind.....

• 2 weeks later...

A few years back I converted an 1851 Navy blackpowder to .22LR.  As part of the conversion I had to bore and sleeve the chambers followed by using a chambering reamer.  At the time I ordered a reamer only the match grade was in stock - same price so WTH I ordered it figuring how much difference could it make....

Well...it makes a LOT of difference!  The match chambers are so tight the shells must be pushed in - they don't fall in by any means.  While this is what a match shooter wants, the average shmoe who rechambers an 1851 Navy wants standard spec chambers.

Reading your post makes me wonder if you might want to try running a standard grade chambering reamer through your gun.

You see, when chambers are reamed they use the same reamer for a specified number of passes...the first chambers will the the largest, the last chambers in the life-cycle of that reamer will be tighter...the difference may be less than .0005" but that matters.  A full .001" when milling close-tolerance parts means the difference between going together or not at all...

My brother gave me a "standard" .22 finishing reamer to try on my rifle. The "pilot" portion of the reamer would not go into the rifled part of the barrel. I tried the same tool on a Ruger 10/22, and it slid right in there. The German-made (Walther) barrel on the Colt apparently has a smaller diameter chamber AND bore than typical American stuff.......don't ask me why! Typical European?

• 3 weeks later...

I've have great success with CCI and Blazer with my M&P 15-22. Both have proven to be pretty accurate and haven't jammed at all on me. From what I am reading, I am considering myself to be lucky.

At this point in time I am not partial to any particular brand, which I get depends on which is on sale at my local supply stores.

-Frankie