Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

Update on Blazer Ammo

Kilibreaux

Just wanted to update on how Blazers have been working for me.

I purchased a case of 5000 from www.targetsportsusa.com for $171 delivered...this was ammo packed in 50 round boxes, 10 boxes to a "brick."

The bullets were dark and shiny with some type of wax lube, but not overly so.  I really like that more pointed nose profile of the Blazer over other styles and this works well for chambering in semiautos.  Also, the rim thickness on Blazer exceeds that of other brands I've measured, and this is important considering the application.

Firing a 330 round belt through my Razorback, every round chambers perfectly and fires....like a sewing machine.  Unlike magazine fed weapons that rely on feed ramps and angles to help guide the cartridge from magazine to chamber, the Razorback bolt extracts the round from the belt, moves it into and down a T-slot on the bolt face into alignment with the chamber, then slides it right in...the nose generally doesn't touch anything on the way in.  In this regard virtually any .22 style will feed, but the more bulbous, or rounded the nose, the more likely it is to bump into the bottom edge of the chamber mouth.

Anyway, so far I've run that 5,000 thousand rounds of Blazer through the Razorback VERY FAST from 50, 200 and 330 round belts without a single hitch...."very fast" means a 50 round belt in a bit over 2.5 seconds - no jams, no failures to feed, certainly no extraction failures since the Razorback uses absolute positive extraction, and no misfires!

My GSG also seems quite content to fire Blazers...I had a few failures to fire until I stoned my firing pin, but since then, no failures to ignite.  In this regard I used locally obtained "on sale" Blazer bulk pack and it did the job just fine.

• 2 weeks later...

I posted my update before I pulled the barrel on the RB and saw how heavily leaded it was!  I spent about an hour using a stiff bristle bruch and bore solvent to scrub out a rather thick deposit of leading.  Those not familiar with how rapidly belt-fed .22's can go through bullets - myself included before this last session, cannot appreciate how fast the barrel heats to the point where leading occurs, but this begs the age-old question of:

Does a copper plated bullet lead less when firing fast enough to REALLY get the barrel hot?

I've done searches to try and find any commentary on HEAT-related barrel leading, but all I find are posts about the accuracy of lead bullets versus plated by guys firing them relatively slowly....I guess I'll have to do my own comparison to find out if a thousand round belt of copper plated leaves deposits equal to 1000 rounds of lead bullets.

I posted my update before I pulled the barrel on the RB and saw how heavily leaded it was!  I spent about an hour using a stiff bristle bruch and bore solvent to scrub out a rather thick deposit of leading.  Those not familiar with how rapidly belt-fed .22's can go through bullets - myself included before this last session, cannot appreciate how fast the barrel heats to the point where leading occurs, but this begs the age-old question of:

Does a copper plated bullet lead less when firing fast enough to REALLY get the barrel hot?

I've done searches to try and find any commentary on HEAT-related barrel leading, but all I find are posts about the accuracy of lead bullets versus plated by guys firing them relatively slowly....I guess I'll have to do my own comparison to find out if a thousand round belt of copper plated leaves deposits equal to 1000 rounds of lead bullets.

Thanks for the update

In case you haven't found this yet - Razorback firing a 1000 belt non-stop.  It's not impressive just because of the capacity, but the sheer reliability!  And if a round fails to fire a quick rack on the operating knob yanks the round out of the chamber, and a fresh round coming down the T-slot kicks it out the bottom and replaces it in the chamber.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Krink545#p/a/u/1/7h0s_62jXuk

• 1 year later...