Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

A couple of my modified Ruger 10/22's

New member here. I recently found this site and thought I would share a couple of the 10/22's I have modified.

Archangel-Ruger1022-2.jpg

Above is a Ruger 10/22 that I have had for several years. I bought it from a buddy of mine that didn't use it, in fact when I bought it it had been sitting in the barn for a year or more.

It took a bit to get it cleaned up but I did manage to complete the task. I have done all the bolt modifications to it, ie had the bolt face milled to set the headspace to .043", pinned the firing pin and chamfered / radiused and polished the rear of the bolt. I also sent the trigger group out to TT Shooter and had one of his Precision Trigger Jobs done to it. I also had the factory barrel shortened (cutting off the front sight in the process) to 17" and had it recrowned. I then had the diameter of the barrel turned down immediately in front of the v block dovetail so I could attach a non vented aluminum barrel shroud on the factory barrel to give the barrel the appearance of a bull barrel without the weight.

I have had this one in several stocks over the years and finally settled on a PROMAG Archangel 556 Stock Kit. I did modify the Archangel in that I had a buddy of mine mill off the top and bottom picatinny rails on the Archangel Free Float Tube for a more conventional look.

The Scope is a Weaver Rimfire Special 3x9x32mm AO set in Weaver 1" High Quad Lock Scope Rings that sit on Yankee Hill Machine 1/2" Risers.

Nodic-Ruger-KIDD1022-1.jpg

The above photo is of the latest one I just completed. This one too started out as a used 10/22 I bought from a buddy. I did the same action modifications I did to the Archangel 10/22 (bolt work and trigger work). The Barrel is a KIDD 20" Stainless-Steel Match Barrel and man does it shoot. This one sits in a Nordic Components AR-22 Receiver Chassis Kit with a Model 1 Sales AR-15 A2 Buttstock, 1" DPMS Buttstock Extension, Model 1 Sales Aluminum AR-15 Free Float Tube and a AR-15 CAA UPG-16 Pistol Grip.

The Scope is a Weaver Series 40/44 6.5x20x44mm AO set in Weaver 1" High Quad Lock Scope Rings that sit on Yankee Hill Machine 1/2" Risers.

The Archangel 10/22 is basically my Hunting .22 but it also sees a lot of use just plinking and several of the kids at the local indoor shooting range shoot it for their youth rifle league each year. The Nordic 10/22 is for when I want to get serious and punch tiny clusters of holes in paper, namely our Rimfire Bench Rest competition at the indoor shooting range. In addition it also will see action this next year for our club's 100 yard egg shoots.

Thanks for looking

Larry

Man, that first one (Archangel 556) looks fantastic.

When I opened the thread, I was looking at it thinking it looks terribly familiar.  Love the removal of the rails top and bottom, changes the look drastically, ..... for the better! I actually spent about $30 ADDING 2 rails to the side of mine, so there's one on each corner.

I recently slipped my stock 2010 10/22 into an Archangel 556 stock.  Threw on a foregrip, bipod, bananna magazine, and NcStar el-cheapo scope.  It looks pretty good and it got me thinking/wishing I'd not got the ss barrel that came standard on the all weather carbine.  The ss really kinda clashes with the blackness of the rest of the gun

After a month or so of my 'new' Ruger/Archangel, I stumbled across the comical flash suppressor/muzzle brake from www.tacticalinc.com. I got the Barrett style 50 cal brake.  We all KNOW a muzzle brake is completely unnecessary on our little 22lr's, but it added a certain amount of conversation and laughable 'bling' to the weapon.  Sure gets lots of attention at the range :)

Your posts above showcase 2 fantastic examples of cutom 10/22's, I know you're proud of em' and give us newbs a great direction to begin our own customizations.  Nice job!

Thanks guys.

OlyK8Nordic1022.jpg

Above is a photo of my Olympic Arms K8 TargetMatch Upper Receiver Assembly on a Bushmaster Lower Receiver and my Custom Nordic-Ruger 10/22.

I set up the Nordic-Ruger 10/22 to be a twin of the Olympic Arms K8 TargetMatch so to speak. I have added some weight inside of the trap door on the Nordic-Ruger 10/22 so these two weigh very close to the same now. 

I also have a 16" Bushmaster Upper Receiver Assembly on a S&W M&P-15 Lower Receiver and it and the Archangel-Ruger 10/22 are similar in size and looks. Obviously the Archangel-Ruger 10/22 is quite a bid lighter in weight than the AR-15, but otherwise the feel is very similar.

Larry

• 1 month later...

I recently went to work on my modified Archangel 556 Free Float Tube. I rasped, sanded, dremeled and sanded some more until I finally had the outside diameter reduced so I could slide the DPMS Carbon Fiber Free Float Tube over the Archangel 556 modified Free Float Tube.

ArchangelCarbonFiberFreeFloatTube.jpg

I used a Rifle Length DPMS Carbon Fiber Free Float Tube and shortened it 3". Buy shortening it 3" I ended up with 5 1/2" of the Barrel protruding out in front of the end of the Free Float Tube.

ArchangelRuger1022CarbonFiberFreeFloatTube.jpg

All in all it turned out exactly like I had intended it to. I am super pleased with the outcome. In the process I also replaced the Buttstock with a MagPul CTR Buttstock with the Friction Lock. This buttstock is rock solid when locked in each position.

Thanks for looking

Larry

• 1 month later...

Very nice work.  I recently got a nordic ar22 chassis kit and threw my 10/22 in that, I also refaced the bolt and cleaned up the firing pin.  Otherwise the gun is stock.  After taking down the rifle and cleaning it, then reassembling I find that my zero changes (super frustrating), have you run into this issue?