Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

Springfield Armory 1911's

imschur

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I just picked up my first 1911 A1. My dad has one and I really like it so I found a used one at a local shop and picked it up Friday. I am thinking it is a MIL-SPEC model not the GI. It has had some work done to it I think?

Any one familiar with Springfield A1s ?

It has a polished feed ramp and barrel throat,full length guide rod , beveled magazine well and a delta style hammer, it holds 8 rounds in the mag also. I believe these are Mil-Spec items. It has a STI polymer trigger and a ambidextrous thumb safety and Houge Grips.

I wish to go back to a standard safety and Checkered wood grips. I kind of would like a trigger not plastic as well the STI unit may work fine but I am thinking no plastic. 

I have been busy working on this thing I have owned it for 1 week she was used and after getting inside it is a very low milage 1911. However I had a look and feel I wanted so.

I disasembled everything and sanded it smooth to a 400 grit wet/dry then bead blasted the frame and slide. repolished the barel throat & feed ramp. I replaced the Houge grip with the factory Cocobolo wood. The trigger is being replaced with a Wilson combat unit and the grip safety is being replace with a high beaver tail unit. Both should be in next week. Also I ordered a LPA adjustable rear sight to work with the factory dovetail cut  :thumb:

I am going to put the STI trigger and low beaver tail on my fathers 1911 GI model

post-37-1441243626_thumb.jpg

post-37-144124362609_thumb.jpg

post-37-144124362618_thumb.jpg

I have two Springfield Armory 1911s.  A GI in Armory Coat Green and a Stainless Steel Mil-Spec.  Both are nice guns, but the GI's sights are a bit hard for my old eyes.  That is why I like the Mil-Spec better.  My other 1911 is a Les Baer Premier II.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...