Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

Umarex Uzi....HECK YEAH

bdavison

Ok, so I saw this Umarex/Walther .22 UZI at the gunshop today.

Picked it up, and it has some serious weight to it. Its heavy, and solid as a rock.

Its nearly all metal, except for the grips.

Stock folds out.

Suppressor is a hollow can, and would probably take a little bit of work to convert over to a live suppressor. Its hard to tell, but it appears like the end cap threads off (if its not welded)...which should make it pretty easy to convert. ....or of course you could SBR it, which would be cool too. (You can do it with a tax-stamp, I am not suggesting you break the law)

20 rd magazines.

The front grip comes off, and there is a picatinny rail under there that you could attach lights/lasers/or t-grips too.

Its a darn shame it doesn't fire from open bolt...or you could pin the firing pin and just slam-fire the shiznit out of it. (legally of course)

So anyway, I had to buy it....

Seriously, a folding stock .22 UZI that will fit in a backpack, oh this is gunna be fun.

post-257-144124387261_thumb.png

I can tell you this....its built like a tank.

I dont know what it weighs, but it is not a light gun, and could probably take some serious abuse. Its hardcore in the construction category

The reciever appears to be aluminum, and probably cast. its thick and solid.

It has a pretty simple bolt set up. Just a chunk of metal (think 10/22 bolt) with an extractor. it has a guide rod to keep it in alignment inside the receiver, a spring, and a buffer at the back.  Ejector is just a blade ejector like so many of these tactical .22's.

The top of the reciever pops right off after you press a detent near the rear sight. Once the top is off, the entire internals are right there. Makes cleaning it a breeze, as you can pretty much pull anything you want out of it, and there is plenty of room to get a scrub brush up in there with some Hoppe's 9.

The rear sight is a peephole type site, that has two user selectable diopters that just flip. Front sight is a simple AR style post with the detent for elevation adjustments.

The barrel is 18" so, it should be pretty accurate. I'm pretty sure I can expect about the same results as a stock out-of-the-box 10/22 from it.

To be honest this thing is an ideal SHTF bug-out gun. Small, compact, durable, and concealable.

Full range report coming once I can get it out to the range. I cant wait.

The barrel is a pencil in a shroud.

The pencil barrel comes out of the front of the receiver, and is threaded on the muzzle end. There is a thin metal shroud that goes over it, that fits into the end of the receiver, and stops just short of the threads at the muzzle end. Then the suppressor has a 1/8" thick metal tube through the middle of it. It slides over the shroud, and sits against the receiver on a flat rubber washer. Then the actual barrel threads into the end cap at the muzzle end of the suppressor.

(***WARNING***) DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS IF YOU DO NOT HAVE IN YOUR POSSESSION A BATF TAX STAMP FOR A NFA SUPPRESSOR MANUFACTURE FOR THIS RIFLE!!! THIS IS A FEDERAL FELONY WITHOUT THE NFA TAX STAMP, AND YOU WILL SPEND TIME IN PRISON. DONT DO IT.

To convert it over to a real suppressor...

You would remove the thin shroud, cut it down to about half of its length.

Put it back onto the gun, so that it would keep the suppressor itself aligned properly.

Slant slot the barrel to let the gasses out.

Remove the end cap from the suppressor, and pull out the 1/8" tube.

Mill two sides of the tube down so gasses can enter the suppressor.

Then you can either make baffles, or just wrap the 1/8" tube with steel wool, and reinsert it into the suppressor.

Install the end cap back onto the suppressor.

Then thread it back on to the rifle just like normal.

Because of the construction, it would end up being a sealed integral suppressor, so it would be NFA on the entire rifle.

Which is kinda nice, because you could SBR it on the same tax stamp I think. And cut the suppressor and barrel down a bit if you wanted to. The rifle has some amazing possibilities, for anyone that enjoys class III NFA firearms.

As far as Zamak...I'm pretty sure the bolt is cast aluminum, and not zamak, but with steel reinforcements in appropriate places, like the guide rod slot, and the buffer. The reciever is definitely cast and milled aluminum.