Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

First time shooting it...did i get a bad one?

aaronsd7

I was finally able to get my m&p 15-22 MOE out shooting over the Easter weekend.  While it was a blast to shoot, i dont think i got through one magazine without having a missfire or failure of the cartridge to fully clear the gun.  I was using both federal ammo and stinger ammo.  With the federal ammo, i had more misfires and a lot of the bolt action pinching the catridge before it could fully clear.  This occured with both the s&w magazine and the plinker tactical magazine.  And man, i dont know if it was my gun, but the plinker tactical magazine i had was horrible.  it failed to properly feed a lot, cause the top of the bullet to get shaved off a number of times in one magazine.  i will be returning it and waiting for my promag magazines to see if they work better.

Anyone else have similar issues with your gun?  any suggestions or should i just take it back and have them fix it? 

i was really bummed this happened, because when it worked, it was a lot of fun to shoot!  it is amazing how quickly you can go through the 25 rounds if the magazine was working properly.  went through a brick of ammo pretty quickly shooting up some skunk beer and 22lr targets. 

possibly the ejector? I have seen where the ejector needs to be tweeked a bit by ever so slightly bending it out toward the ejection port. I have seen a Youtube vid on what to do so you might check it out. Did the empty case turn sideways or do they just ram forward kinda crushing beer can style? If crushing straight it is more likely the extractor, or in my case the lack of an extractor, which jumped ship during a trip to the range last spring. S&W fixed it for free but took a few weeks to ship it there and back. Haven't had any issues since.

I have yet to put a ton of ammo through mine, but a little trouble with cheap ammo and the plinker tactical mags, still need to run some newer/tighter stuff through it. But initial gut feelings our the pro-mags work better then the plinkers, my one factory mag has worked well also

Plinker mags are known to be problematic at times, especially brand new. It seems to be a 50/50 proposition with them.

As far as the rifle, I would give a good cleaning. Lube on the rails that the bolt rides on is really all that is necessary. Give the bolt face a good scrub as well and don't lube the firing pin or channel it rides in. It could cause light primer strikes.

One thing to be aware of is the mags are really picky on how they are loaded with rounds. (work better with the rounds staggered) In the manual somewhere it talks about it. Try these couple things, if it still give ya trouble, maybe a return trip to S&W might be in order.

Good luck!

• 4 weeks later...

I sent mine back to S&W about a month ago and just got it back this past weekend.  I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, but S&W did replace the ejector.  Hopefully that was the issue and the next time i go out shooting it will fire without fail  :thumb: