Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

10/22 vs 15-22 how do they compare

Jrod77

The S&W 15-22 is a fine rifle but the Ruger 10/22 is the industry standard for modification capability.

I personally own two Volquartsen "10/22" rifles that use no original Ruger parts at all save the magazines.

That many after market part are avaliable.

So if AR-15 is what you want, S&W 15-22.

If unlimited customization capability is what you crave, Ruger 10/22.

Both shoot well out of the box.

The S&W 15-22 is a fine rifle but the Ruger 10/22 is the industry standard for modification capability.

I personally own two Volquartsen "10/22" rifles that use no original Ruger parts at all save the magazines.

That many after market part are avaliable.

So if AR-15 is what you want, S&W 15-22.

If unlimited customization capability is what you crave, Ruger 10/22.

Both shoot well out of the box.

Except the original trigger will cause a trigger finger hernia. First thing to replace. I'll vouch for the Timney, never had a chance to shoot one with the Volquartsen.

I'll vouch for the Timney, never had a chance to shoot one with the Volquartsen.

I've never tried the Volquartsen 10/22 trigger either.

I'm referring to the trigger supplied with the Volquartsen Custom built rifles.

They do not interchange with the 10/22 triggers / receivers.

My Volquartsen Custom in .17HM2. I also own one in .22lr.

cm-2014.jpg

cm-2016.jpg

cm-2017.jpg

Ain't it purdy?

• 2 months later...

My 10-22 has a new Feddersen barrel.  Have not had a opportunity to shoot yet.  Read a lengthy discussion about Feddersen and the 10-22 remake they do which they call the "Fedderson 10/22 Tennessee Ridge Runner Rifle" and could not resist immediately buying a tapered barrel for my rifle which I installed the day it arrived;  and a bull barrel for future use or maybe will buy another Ruger 10-22 and put the bull barrel on it.

The new tapered,  or 'contoured' barrel,  fit into the wooden OEM Ruger stock perfectly and then the Carbine barrel band slipped smoothly into position. 

My own experience with the Ruger 10-22 trigger is that the one on my rifle is fine.  It needed the shims described in a long post/thread in this forum to hold the trigger sub-assembly securely and the 'oversize' pins to hold the entire trigger-group module tighter.  Trigger pull is light and crisp with everything held tightly in place.  I never messed with the trigger or sear at all.

I had never removed the OEM barrel before.  It slipped out easily.  The Feddersen barrel went into place with a lot of light tapping with a rubber hammer.  When I was shooting the 10-22,  it was with 5 or 10 rounds per clip and the 6th or 11th trigger pull was always on an empty chamber.  I either lose count or want to be sure I did not miscount.  I very carefully inspected the breech face and chamber edges to see what damage I had caused.  The magnifying glass has a second small high-power magnifier.  With that strong magnification and a  bright light I did manage to find two tiny bright parallel lines well back from the rim of the chamber.  Apparently the dry firing has been hard on the blueing back where the firing pin surface was not blunted from hitting the cartridge case rims.

• 4 months later...

FJ Feddersen is going to change the world of shooting with his new process barrel.  I put a tapered barrel on my 10/22 with the ATI stock and it will shoot .250 groups consistently unless I go with some really cheap blazer ammo and then I still get groups of .500 @ 50 yards.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.