Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

Anyone a machinist?

techmike

Might try a drop or two of Mobil One Full Synthetic on both the part and the 1/4" square rod.  Let it sit a day or two to "dry."  It doesn't dry,  of course,  but it can seem to be dry.  Then wipe lightly with paper towel.  Install and see what happens?  Maybe the plastic wears so the aluminum shaft will not?  The film of Mobil One synthetic oil may help both?

Hey Dusty, I have tried several different lubes, will see about getting some of the Mobil. The problem is the ratchet is a very weak part. It is plastic, it rides inside another plastic part, and has a steel square rod that is twisted 90 degrees running through the center. The plastic to steel interface is where it wears out. Since I have mounted a powder dispenser on the turret, all of that extra mass accelerates the wear. When it gets worn out, the turret stops lining up where it should. I don't really want to get a progressive, as I like this this Lee except for this one part. So I want to try getting this wee part made from aluminum. Or something a bit harder that the plastic it is currently made from.

TM could it be made from steel? A  1/4'' drive socket could be cut down easily to size, since the 1/4'' drive is already punched. How tall (or long)is the part?  .....Gary

That would probably work, but I would prefer aluminum. If I can find a source, I want to get at least 100 made to start, (as long as they do not cost as much as a new press) as I am not the only one out here with a Lee Turret Press.  ;D

LINK to the part, it is made from semi-soft plastic, and passes a .252" steel rod in the center. It rides in an other plastic part and is what causes the turret to index 90 degrees when the twisted part of the steel rod passes through. Outside dimension is 0.448", then there is a step and the other outside dimension is 0.320".  Total height is 0.146", if you want to PM me your address I can send you a new one for your inspection.

Thanks,

Mike