Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

Rail system

burkedogg18

Hi  burkedogg18

I dont own a .22 Colt but I know Colt/Umarex do offer a quad rail system "RIS for M4 Carbine  Item No. 2245112"

Judging from the image it looks like the FS will have to come off for installation. Is there anything unusual about the way the front sight is attached?

post-1-144124359385_thumb.jpg

The front sight on the Clot/Umarex .22 is pinned to the barrel sleeve. I removed mine, as I only use optics with it. It does not remove easily, and I had to dura coat the sleeve as it got marred during sight fs removal. The barrel sleeve is removable, I just don't remember how. (getting old sucks) Next time I take mine apart, I will post pics.

TM

OK..thanks guys...I've recieved the RIS from Umarex. Now I've got to go out and get a punch kit to knock out the pins in the front sight to slide it off. Next question is: does the delta ring just come right off of the barrel and the new threaded collar from the RIS goes in it's place? If I pull this off I'll post pics from the process. Thanks again...

Btw: how could anyone make silly comments about lube, barrel nuts and delta rings??  :confused:

• 1 month later...

Ok, So after a very hectic beginning to Feb. I got around to replacing my stock handguard with a RIS for Colt/Umarex M4 Carbine  (Item No. 2245112). The front sight does indeed need to come off. This is accomplished with the correct size punch. Make sure to back off the allen set screw on the bottom before sliding the unit off of the barrel sleeve. The delta ring is a standard AR15 ring and does need an armourers wrench to get it off. I also purchased an AR vise block that fits into the upper receiver and then can be clamped in a vise so that you don't tweak the receiver during the process. Be sure to mark the barrel sleeve so that after installation it lines back up. Once the delta ring is off simply replace it with the threaded collar and spin on your new rail system. It may take a little bit to get it to line up flush with the upper receiver. Make sure that the barrel sleeve is in the correct position and aligned (pin channels for the front sight down). Then tighten the set screws on the RIS, reinstall the front sight if you wish. Install your optics and sights and you're finished. I haven't taken it out to the range yet, as I'm waiting for a folding rear sight. I'll let you know how it works. I guess the lesson here is go for the Ops version if available (it wasn't in my area), you'll save yourself time and money (tools). Pics to follow!

• 3 months later...

There is another option without having to remove the Front Sight. I also got the Umarex Colt M4 Carbine (the OPS model was not available). I had my dealer change the stock handguards with the F.A.B. Defense M4 Aluminum Quad Rail (carbine lenght M4 replacement forend rail system) and it fit like a glove. In fact with this quad rail the rifle looks more like an actual COLT M4 Carbine (with quad rails) than the OPS model.