Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

GSG-522

imschur

• 1 month later...

More info is is trickling out on the GSG-5 replacement, the GSG-522. The main differences are as follows

Textured pistol grip

Redesigned selector switch

Picatinny rail on top

Square "open" front sight rather than the classic H&K ring front sight

Integrated sling bracket on trigger guard

ATI will offer "upgrade" kits that will allow you to retrofit a GSG-522 to look like the original GSG-5

The GSG-522 will be available the following configurations:

GSG-522PK Pistol (MP5K style) with 4.25" barrel

GSG-522 Pistol with 9" barrel

GSG-522 SD Carbine with 16.25" barrel

GSG-522 Carbine with 16.25" barrel

The carbine models will be available in black, nickel and camo finish. Each model will ship with either a 10 round or 22 round magazine.

• 3 months later...

As it happens I am the proud owner of the "new" GSG-522 here in central California.  Other than cosmetic changes it is the same gun as the GSG-5, so much so the owners manual is for the original GSG-5 with a "522" sticker over the original number 5.

Even better is the price...I shopped it through Davidson's Gallery of Guns and found it at a pawn shop in Visalia for $351!

The basic gun is unchanged.  The front and rear sight are different, as is the grip, the cocking handle, and mag release, but still perfectly functional.  I would prefer the original rear aperture sight over this one with the long "U" channels and I have found them online for around $30.  The front sight is okay as is...twin uprights with the same replaceable front post.

The cocking handle is larger and I'm not sure it isn't better, same with the magazine release.  It does have this little sling hook on the front of the trigger guard which some will like and others not because it isn't traditional but it's easy enough to remove with a dremel if so desired.

Here in Kali we get the 10 round mag which IS more than the addition of external block panels.  The panels are glued to a couple of internal blocks and the spring is shorter than a non-restricted mag.

I own a Ruger 10/22...have for decades.  I've taken it apart, modified it every which way you can and believe I have a pretty decent grasp of what makes it a great rifle.  With that said, when I disassembled the GSG-522/5 for the first time I found myself marveling at how well IT is built.  The receiver is thick-walled aluminum with plenty of meat to handle any .22LR round.  INSIDE the bolt resides in an aluminum carrier or jacket which appears every bit as sturdy as the 10/22 receiver.  The bolt is steel, with TWIN steel recoil guide rods (the Ruger only has one rather slender one) and a substantial firing pin.  The ejector appears sturdy and well anchored and another thing I suspect most fail to notice and appreciate is that when the bolt is closed the ejector is shrouded, which means an ejector blowout cannot possibly be as catastrophic as on traditional .22LR rifles (10/22) with the ejector exposed.

Based upon many reviews read prior to having my own GSG to examine I expected to find a thin, easily deformed receiver yet such is not the case.  The cocking handle is sturdy and exits through a rather thick-walled cocking tube...to damage this will take some dedicated, intentional effort I think.

The trigger group is housed inside an aluminum sub-unit, which then slips into the polymer grip housing.  I see nothing "flimsy" about the trigger components.

Overall I think the GSG is pretty well built for its intended purpose.

The ONLY weakness I find is the steel barrel where it passes through the aluminum breechblock is a bit thin-walled.  However, anyone who has ever looked at an AR-7 barrel with its aluminum or polymer exterior already knows a .22LR simply does not need a massive barrel so that alone isn't an issue.

The rear sight is NOT suitable and must be replaced with a proper aperture type drum.  The front sight can be left as is unless the "retrofit-kit" is inexpensive enought to justify changing it.