Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

Problems with the Colt?

techmike

Not first hand I don't have an axe to grind with any of these .22's as I dont own the Colt or Smith but I have received a reasonable amount of negative feedback on the Colt through the contact page. There was another thread (HK?) where I quoted a Umarex rep admitting there were issues.

The question to me is have they fixed the problems?

On the positive it appears that the Umarex customer service is pretty good.

The Colt is very ammo- sensitive, out- of- standard spec (cheap) ammo is unlikely to chamber fully leading to misfires. Also if this rifle is not cleaned fully before first firing, the bolt assy is prone to light strikes. Most owners report around 600 rounds will settle the arm down and get it running reliably....

Evidently the assembly lube is really full bodied (read thick) and unless cleaned out of the bolt assembly it will cause light strikes. It's probably a combination of a missed initial cleaning and a need to ''wear in'' the bolt assembly. I've read all this second hand, lite strikes are not a problem for mine....

No significant problems with mine. I got the OPS version for Christmas. I initially ran 40 rounds of Federal Champion .36 grain hollow points through it on my way home from picking it up, without cleaning it first or adjusting for high velocity rounds. I had 1-2 FTFs per 10rd magazine that day. After bringing it home and making the appropriate bolt speed adjustment and thoroughly cleaning / oiling the rifle I ran 485 rounds (the rest of the brick) of the same ammo out of the rifle in one day, and had 5 FTFs out of the 485 rounds. I would expect that out of any .22 rifle and was very happy with the reliability and the accuracy. I have fairly poor eyesight and am no great marksman by any means and was shooting 3" groups from about 70 yards with the factory sights. Seems to be a great rifle so far. My only disappointment is that Colt/Umarex/Walther will void warranty if you take the gun down for what I consider to be a PROPER cleaning... No real big deal though. I am going out to run another brick through it tomorrow and will report back if I have any issues.

Hi SCORPiON5150, Welcome and what a nice Christmas present! Thanks for the range report, and glad to hear yours is trouble free. You can find a detailed cleaning procedure at the top on the Colt Umarex General section. I agree - Colt's cleaning procedure is poor.

TM :thumb:

Light Strikes - Every fail to fire in my Colt also failed to fire in a bolt action. So I believe they are actual duds. It appears that my Colt has "light strikes" due to the "high" number of fail to fire rounds. Fact is, since I got the Colt I have fired more .22 rounds than ever before. So it just seems like a problem with the rifle. As a youngster, I was lucky to shoot 50 rounds a week. Now I shoot 500 - 700 at a pop. And as all the ammo makers are ramping up production, there just might be quality control issues.  :confused:

TM

• 10 months later...

I have made a SIGNIFICANT improvement on my "light-strike" issue! As you already know how to fully disassemble the upper receiver, just take it one step further: Separate the upper and lower halves of the BOLT itself by tapping-out the tapered pin holding it together. THEN lift out the firing pin and it's recoil spring. As this is an "inertia" type firing pin, it relies on the "slapping" of the hammer to make it protrude past the bolt face to strike the primer. You will probably notice this spring is excessively STRONG! Shorten this spring by about 1/8" or so, and try it. by doing this on mine, I have all but ELIMINATED misfires! The only RARE misfires I get are bullets that simply WON'T FIRE AT ALL. (no matter how many times you try try to fire them). Be careful NOT to cut too much off the spring at first, as I see the possibility of the firing pin SPLITTING the case! Also, you will notice the little "cheesy" extractor and spring sitting there. Now is a good time to slightly "polish" this little booger with some fine sandpaper, and slightly STRETCH the spring to improve manual extraction in the event of a STUCK round or casing. It ain't much of an extractor, and it needs all the help it can get!