Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

15-22 problems/ failures

mcekim2

Hi all... I'm new to the forum (just did an intro post today).  I put a 15-22 on layaway a few days ago and I'm really looking forward to taking delivery on it.  I've run into some disturbing posts (on other forums/ sites) about FTF's, FTE's and rounds detonating before actually chambering.  I take whatever I read on the internet with a grain of salt but still... The exploding round scenario is especially scary because I'm a left handed shooter.  I certainly am not here to bash the gun - I think it's awesome!  Have you folks had any serious problems?  I've read about and watched on Youtube about the extractor problem and fix.  How have your experience's been?  I really appreciate any feedback.

I have had mine since August, it has given me no problems that were not fixed by switching ammo. I had quite a few FTFs and FTEs with the Remington box ammo all of which went away when I switched to the Federal box ammo.

None of the cheap bulk ammo seems to shoot as clean as the higher end stuff but hey cheap to shoot is what its great at. Cheap and Cool that is. 

post-37-144124359811_thumb.jpg

I got mine 2 weeks ago. I used Federal, Winchester, CCI and Remington, each with the same result. I have only fired 300 rounds through it so far and have experienced about 16 Failure To Feeds, just over one in each magazine. A round would get turned perpendicular as it travelled out of the mag and then get rammed in the side by the bolt causing a jam.  I have had zero FTE's, had a few miss fires on the cheap Remington stuff, but I have never heard anything good about this kind of ammo anyway. I contacted S&W about the problem and they said specifically to NOT use the magazine assist lever when loading and to physically load each round unassisted and try again. I will report back as soon as it quits raining here. Other than that, I love this new gun!

I've put quite a few rounds through mine, probably in the vacinity of a couple thousand.

I've fed it Federal, Winchester, Aguila, Remington, Centurion, CCI, Eley.  The Remington Golden Bullet stuff is the only ammo that consistently sucks for feeding - many FTFs with that.  I've had some FTE's, not that many though, maybe a couple dozen.

I have heard of one catastrophic failure (on the internet) but have no first-hand info on it.

My shooting buddy has an M&P 15-22 as well, and hasn't had any real issue with his either.

I say buy in confidence, have no fear.  You'll love it!

I got mine 2 weeks ago. I used Federal, Winchester, CCI and Remington, each with the same result. I have only fired 300 rounds through it so far and have experienced about 16 Failure To Feeds, just over one in each magazine. A round would get turned perpendicular as it travelled out of the mag and then get rammed in the side by the bolt causing a jam.  I have had zero FTE's, had a few miss fires on the cheap Remington stuff, but I have never heard anything good about this kind of ammo anyway. I contacted S&W about the problem and they said specifically to NOT use the magazine assist lever when loading and to physically load each round unassisted and try again. I will report back as soon as it quits raining here. Other than that, I love this new gun!

I got a chance to try the correct loading procedure with great results: every brand functioned flawlessly! It may be worth mentioning to this surge of new owners of rimfire rifles with hi-cap magazines. It requires a little more attention to loading as compared to the conventional 10-round mag that typically does not have or require the load-assist lever. DO NOT use the lever until necessary, and then only just enough so as to "assist" the other hand in inserting the round. Be sure allow each round to be properly aligned (with the cartridge rim on top in front of the one below it). Be careful to not pull the lever too far and let the round fall into the magazine.

• 10 months later...

Those out of battery malfunctions with this gun are due to the disconnect allowing the hammer to fall before the bolt is completely closed. S&W messed up big with that, and it ought to be recalled.

On a properly functioning gun, if the bolt isnt closed, the mechanics inside the trigger group wont let it fire. S&W didnt build the M&P correctly...I've seen them with as much as a 1/8" tolerance, which will cause a OOB explosion which is what caused your extractor to blow off.

Its only a matter of time before some left-handed shooter loses an eye when the extractor comes flying out.

Take your gun, make sure its empty, cock it, and pull the bolt back 1/8" away from the chamber, and pull the trigger. If it fires....its defective in my opinion, but Im betting S&W will tell you its ok.

I would not call it a systemic defect in EVERY weapon they made.  Many of the early versions function well and have never had any troubles.  Some have and S&W was very helpful in repairing and returning the problematic weapons.

If the OOB problem effected the majority of weapons I would also say a recall was needed but historically that is NOT what has happened.  I have 2 15-22's one early and one brand new.  Neither has had the problem.  The older one is just as realiable and safe as the new one.

i was also told there are 2 style of magizines out there, if yours says "25 rounds" by the caliiber on the botom then your good if it says just .22 lr then you have the first edition, not sure what the real difference I just know i asked if I should return all 5 of mine and they told me not to if I had the newer ones and all of mine are.

sorry if this has already been posted elsewhere

• 1 year later...

I never noticed at which moment the extracter jumped ship. Didnt notice any OOBD. Took it to the range along with my brand new GSG522. Put a few hundred rounds through the new gun and decided to give the 15-22 a bit of range time and right out of the gate it was FTE almost every round so I gave up and went home. When I got home and started to clean my toys I noticed the extractor was missing. :confused:

• 4 weeks later...

Got my 15-22 back from the factory today after extractor repair. No notes or explanation of the work done. Also didn't get 2 free mags that other posts I've seen claim to have gotten. They did replace the hammer spring which I had switched out for one I purchased from Brownells. They were nice enough to return my spring to me so I got a spare spring outa the deal. I didnt look at the original extractor that closely before it went bye bye, but i think the new extractor is a bit different. Anyone else notice the difference? Maybe I'm wrong. :confused: