Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

How much is overkill?

asmurff

I want to put a good optic on my 10/22 and I don't think the 1X red dots or reflex type are going to work for these eyes.

So my question is at what magnification is over kill on a .22 at a maximum of 100 yards.

I've been looking at some of the varmit scopes or should I stick with rimfire scopes.

Nah no need to stick with .22 scopes. A fixed 4x for general screwing around or maybe a 3x9 for long range stuff. A .22 is a good reason to try those inexpensive scopes you always wondered about. The Bushnells, Vortex, Millet, NcStar, Mueller etc. Its often said the optic should cost as much as the firearm.

Funny you should ask that just now..... I have had 3 different scopes on my Colt, and all produced acceptable accuracy, but... They just didn't float my boat. I like the one I currently have, a 5.5x20-50, side focus - I can actually see the .22 cal hits on paper at 100 yds, but, it's huge! I am currently bidding on 5 or 6 scopes on e-bay. Used & new. Also bought one from C.T.D. -  Should get here in 3-5 days. Will report as soon as possible.

TM

I have a Leapers 4X32 on my MP-15. If you want a little more power vision I think this Leapers 3/9x 32 comact scope from Optics Planet will look awesome on your Tacticool 10-22. The price is reasonable and I can say the quality of the Leapers is quite good for the price, mine has been very reliable.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/leapers-utg-bug-buster-3-9x32-mini-ao-rifle-scope.html

Though I am going to put my 4x32 on my HiPoint 995 and put my new EOTech knockoff on my MP  :thumb:

Asurmff- just got this in today from CTD. http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/SCP407-7.html I have it mounted, and it looks good. It needs to be up a bit for me, and I have ordered a scope riser from Optics Planet. The sight picture is sharp, very thin reticles, I like it. Range report to follow. (it's snowing here). It does not mount using scope rings... I tried a Leapers scope 1st on my Colt, a 6x32, mill dot. Nice scope, except for the reticle - it is so thick that it completely covers the bulls of some of my targets at 50yds.

TM

• 3 weeks later...