Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

Reloading Question

asmurff

My foray into reloading has been going quite well, I've reloaded over 200 rounds of 9mm Luger which is  incredibly accurate. Of course during the learning process I had about a dozen rounds with problems from bullet seating adjustments, primers not fully seated,and a couple of crinkled cartridges. So today I bought a bullet puller and pull all the bullets and recovered the power. My question is what do I do with the cases with the primers still in them, I assume I can't safely deprime them and will just have to destroy them, is that correct?

Actually the recommended method is to squirt some oil in the case & let it soak. The oil will make the primer inactive. Most times, a primed pistol case that has had an insertion problem is deformed and will not chamber, so firing is not usually an option. If you want to recover the brass, you can safely de-prime it after 24 hours of oil soak. I don't bother, I just soak them and toss them into the brass recycle bin.

TM

PS to Asmurff - fun, aint it??

PS to Asmurff - fun, aint it??

Its getting to be fun, now that I think I've gotten the quirks of this Lee Pro 1000 figured out. Over the weekend I finished decapping all my 9mm brass and running them thru the cleaner I believe I've about 600 more rounds to make. Then I'll get busy on the .45acp.