Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

Just how accurate are they?

522 FunGun

I've had mine to the range three times now. The first two trips were just banging away to break it in and some fun plinking with my kids. It has a Millet SP-1 red dot and a Gripod vfg/bipod.

This past weekend I took to the 50 yard range and set up some 8" shoot-n-c targets. At 50 yards the #2 setting on the Millet covers the center bull on the target so I was shooting for minute of 1-1/4" circle.

I had a smattering of assorted ammo to use, cloudy skys and no wind to speak of.

My methods and results are not to be considered a scientific summary by any stretch of the imagination.

CCI 36 gn hollowpoints, Strangely very wild groups. None better than 3"

Federal 510 40gn solids, very good accuracy. 1-1/4" groups.

Federal bulk pack 36gn hollowpoint, again very wild groups. Most right around 2" with some flyers.

CCI Subsonic  40gn hollowpoint, excellent. Groups right at 1" with much less report.

Winchester Super-X 40gn plated hollowpoint, more exellence. Same groups and poi as the CCI Subs with a ginormous hollowpoint cavity.

Remington Viper 36gn Trunctuated Cone, craptacular. Excessive recoil and wildly innacurate.

So it seems this particular gun with this setup prefers the 40gn bullets. Once I get a scope on it we'll see just how good it can be. I expect much.

How about you?

• 2 months later...

My results with my 522 is similar to yours. I have a red dot on mine as my older eyes don't do well with irons any more. My gun seems to prefer the CCI subsonics. I have a Gemtech Outback II suppressor on mine and with the sub sonic ammo, its crazy quiet. So far, mine has digested most brands with no difficulty. I've not shot it for accuracy from a benchrest yet, but just sighting in the red dot, I was getting 1' - 1 1/2" groups with the CCI.  :thumb: