Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

My thoughts and observations on my Colt M4 OPS

moxdmguy

First off, I am glad to see a forum dedicated to the tactical 22s.  I picked up my Colt about a month or so ago and have not had as much time to mess with it as I would like but I have had it out on a few occasions.  I have been a big 10/22 fan and own several from stock up to complete mods.  As a result I am pretty picky on trigger pull weight.  So here are my thoughts and observations:

I debated back and forth between the Smith & Wesson M&P22 and the Colt and decided on the Colt for a few reasons.

• Availability
    All metal construction
    magazine capacity (30 vs. 25)

So I ordered the Colt from a local shop and had it less than a week later.  I took it out back and ran a magazine through with some federal hp ammo I had laying around.  Out of one mag I think I had 3 or 4 misfires.  Needless to say I was a little disappointed but my experience with the 10/22s has taught me the value of different ammo liking different guns (especially rimfires).  I found some federal match ammo at Wallyworld and ran 3 mags through tonight without any misfires or FTFs.

I removed the factory rear flip up sight and put a ATN ultrasight on that I had laying around.  Shooting form a standing position at 25 yards I can consistently get 1" to 1.5" groups and that is without spending a whole lot of time with the rifle.

From an accuracy perspective the rifle seems is excellent.  Even during rapid fire I can keep fairly tight groups. 

The cons:

I was hoping to have a rifle that was assembled just like an AR-15, but as Mikey has pointed out it is anything but.  I am ok with the bolt being different and a little more difficult to remove and service, but my main rub is with the trigger group.  The AR trigger group is a breeze to work on and mod and the Colt Tactical22 takes a bit more finesse.  After shooting this evening I disassembled the trigger group and did a little polishing.  The trigger group from the factory is loaded with grease so the first thing I did was a thorough cleaning and relubed necessarry parts with rem-oil.  I then polished the hammer and sear.  It was too dark to sshoot when I finished, but trigger pull with a snap cap was notably improved but still not what I am use to in my 10/22s.  I would ideally like to get it to around 3.5 to 4lbs but based on what Mikey said am not sure about messing with the springs, honestly I am not even sure how I would find spring with less resistance and the same size.

The factory stock is sloppy, but this is the case with any cheaper AR adjustable stock.  I intend to replace it with a MAGPUL stock to tighten things up.

This is nitpicky but the safety warning printed in white on the bottom of the trigger gaurd drives me nuts.  I will replace that too in the future.

When I ordered the rifle I was under the impression that it was a true COLT.  My bad for not doing more research.  Obviously Walther is a good name and I don't take issue with that, but COLTs decision to put there name on a rifle and distribute it by a company known for airsoft guns erks me a bit, but definately not a deal breaker.

All in all I am very impressed with the rifle.  After I do the mods I want I will have a great little plinker and save countless dollars over plinking with my AR.  I am planning on adding the GEMTECH adaptor and a Outback II once I get more familiar with the laws an regs on such things. 

Oh one last thing.  After my first outing with the gun I went ahead and tigtened the bolt spring all the way as sugessted for HV ammo, I am sure the match ammo helped the misfire issue but no doubt the increased bolt speed helped as well.

Anyway looking forward to seeing input from other members.  Hopefully my 2 cents helps some of you. 

Welcome and a G-8 report! Do not expect a new stock to fit tight. I ordered an ATI adjustable stock - it was a looser fit than the stock stock.  :D I shimmed the inside of the stock with several layers of self adhesive teflon tape - it's about .0025" thick and that tightened up the stock fit. I also ordered a new grip, and found it also needed some fitting. Had to drill a hole in the new grip to allow the hammer strut to pass thru, and enlarge the mounting hole to line up with the Colt. AR parts are NOT drop in. And I DO agree with you about the cheesy white warning on the bottom of the trigger guard!!!!!! Polishing the sear/hammer engagement indeed smooths out the trigger but does little to lighten the pull. Still working on that - without going full auto. Again.  ;D

TM

TM - Thanks for the reply.  I too had to modify the CAA grip, I should have noted that.  The MAGPUL stock I am looking at has a friction lock, so I am hoping that will take up the slop.  If not I will put that on my AR and go with your tape solution.  If you have any sucess with the trigger pull I am all ears.  I am going overseas for a couple weeks this saturday, but when I get back I will start trtying to come up with a solution as well.  Do you have a good source for aftermarket springs in general?  I would like some lighter springs on several other of my guns but never have found a good source.  Good luck with that trigger!!

Hey, Have a safe trip! For springs, you can start at Brownells, http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/cid=0/k=springs/t=P/ksubmit=y/Products/All/search=springs I think they have some generic "kits" in there some where, they also sell coils of spring stock if you care to wind your own. Midway USA also sells gunsmith supplies. My next attempt is to just change the large trigger spring..... will report back.

TM

Thanks for the tip on where to get springs.  My guess is the large spring is what caused you to go FA because I believe that is the main spring that causes the sear to re-engage the hammer.  That was just my observation after spending only a few minutes with the assembly.  Maybe just try and find that happy median between the one you put in prior and factory.  Good luck, I will check in when I get back.

A coil springs "set" or weight can be modified by standing the spring on end and striking it with a hammer. Obviously this is a hit-or-miss proposition as far as final result, but if you have several replacement springs it just might do what you want. Start out lightly.... :) P.S. Great writeup!!