Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

UTG Ultimate Combat Gun Case

Mr. Jones

After quickly realizing that the hard shell case that came with my 522 was not going to work after adding accessories I picked up the UTG gun case from Midway USA.  The selling point was the fact that it could carry my magazines and the BDM drum as well as having an affordable price.

DSC00003.JPG

After receiving the case, all I can say is WOW.  For $70 this case makes some of the very expensive cases look shabby.  It fits my Sig perfectly with room to grow.  Some say you can use it for two rifles, but I don't see how they would fit if they have scopes and accessories installed.  The grip, bipod, and scope  on my rifle pretty much take up the entire available area.  Conversely, just for fun, I was able to fit four full length bolt action .22's (bolts removed).

The front has three detachable carry pouches that utilize PAL webbing.  They seem very sturdy and the pouches themselves have more PAL on the rear so they are easily used with other packs or rigs.

The buttons and PAL straps are very strong, but I added an extra ALICE clip to each pouch for good measure.

DSC00011.JPG

DSC00013.JPG

Velcro closure backed up with a buckle

DSC00009.JPG

Drawstring to keep everything tight

DSC00010.JPG

The two smaller pouches easily fit four 30rd mags

DSC00015.JPG

The larger pouch was large enough to hold an entire range toolkit

DSC00017.JPG

And would you look at that, the BDM drum fits perfect as well- two would fit just as easily if the towers where positioned properly.

DSC00019.JPG

The case also has integral backpack straps that are surprisingly comfortable.  It definitely helps to carry it from the car to the bench, but since the case hits you in the back of the legs, it's not really a long range option.  Still, with all the PAL webbing and pouches, it's damned near a full sized pack in itself.

DSC00020.JPG

A view of the bottom, which is very rigid and supports the whole case well.  Note the D rings for strapping the case down and also the support straps that help take the load of the zippers

DSC00021.JPG

On the carry handle side, more load bearing straps to protect the heavy zippers

DSC00023.JPG

The area under the removable pouches opens yet again to a relatively spacious compartment full of more PAL webbing.  The cleaning kit in the picture is about 2" thick and there is still about 2" left if needed.

DSC00024.JPG

Under the PAL panels are two semi padded CCW or document pockets with heavy velcro closures

DSC00026.JPG

Finally, the interior is very well padded and while the angled pockets don't help with the SIG rifle, they did cradle with my other longer guns.  The velcro straps don't seem to do much either, most of the stability and protection comes from the padding being drawn tight by the exterior load straps you saw before.  Perhaps they are beneficial to other rifles, but not really for the 522

DSC00027.JPG

DSC00028.JPG

DSC00030.JPG

All told, this case was well worth the meager $70 I paid, and it holds the rifle well even with attachments sticking off the sides.  I have every item that I take to the range in this case now, so no need to haul my rifle and a pack and a possibly more.  I give it a 10 out of 10, and will be buying another one for my two Savage squirrel snipers in the near future.

I just noticed that Sig Sauer's promotional photo of the 522 shows the rifle laying on the UTG gun case.

After spending several hours decking out the case to my preferences, I would know those pouches anywhere:

SIG522LR-detail.jpg

I just thought it was pretty cool that I unwittingly bought the same case, which is a perfect fit for the 522 (and probably the 556 as well).