Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

Double action .45's

imschur

I think if you do it long enough you just don't notice the weight, unless it is somehow causing you pain. I carry 3 pounds with a 3.5" Citadel 1911 and two extra magazines. Pistol on the belt in a DeSantis Mini Slide holster, mags in leg pocket of my cargo pants. I've been doing it long enough now I don't really notice the weight, but am always aware of the gun. A Jeff Cooper said "Carrying a gun isn't suppose to be comfortable, it is suppose to be comforting>."

You hit the nail on the head. My first carry gun was a S&W 4006 and it was one heavy turd. I struggled to wear it comfortably. I spent more on holsters than the gun cost. Many were custom because I'm a lefty and the gun was a brand new design and caliber. Then one day I stumbled across an article about this guy making holsters out of horsehide and they looked promising. So after many calls (no internet at the time) eventually he made one to fit the 4006. I bought one.

Now the holster alone isnt the entire answer. The belt must be suitable. The belt is not really obvious until you use a good one. In my case the holster maker also made me a belt from two layers of horsehide. This was and is the stiffest and most durable belt I had ever seen ( I still use it btw).

Anyhow that holster with that belt made all the difference in being able to carry the gun comfortably. I ended up ditching that gun cuz a turd is still a turd and bought the Para P12 that served me well for over a decade. Also with the P12 I once again purchased a holster from that manufacturer as I have with the other guns I have carried for various needs.

My need for a smaller double action weapon is driven by a few factors. The first being how I dress when its stinking hot out. I tend to dress with athletic shorts and a T-shirt. That makes it pretty hard to conceal most mid to large handguns. The second reason is I want my woman to be able to handle a weapon that she is comfortable with. The cocked and locked 1911 intimidates her. To that end the third thing is my own abilities. I do not get to practice like I used too so the C&L 1911 has become a less than ideal choice for me personally.

For about a year I have been carrying a S&W 642 .38 with 5 rounds of +P Corbon's. The gun conceals well and is only about a pound.

The morning as I evaluate my current situation the conclusion that Im coming up with is that these small double action .45's arent really bringing anything to the table other than one more round at nearly twice the weight.

This may sound silly but for 1/3 the cost of the Sig or Para I could carry a second 642 for a total of 10 rounds and be at the same weight as the semi autos Im considering. The revolver has simplicity on its side as well.

So today Im thinking I will get a speed loader for the 642 and carry my Beretta when my attire permits.

This frees up my cash to get a 1911 or a full sized Sig P220 or something else equally as cool.

Side note: I will be doing a little web page on some concealed carry clothing for another site of mine. Ill share a link here as you guys might find it interesting.

Finally the holsters I was referring too are from Kramer Handgun Leather. Here is the holsters I use

post-1-144124365464_thumb.jpg

I've been legally carrying concealed since 1988 and have toted just about every combat handgun configuration available. First, I don't like a concealed handgun that requires holster carry, such as a 1911, even my little EMP, because the loaded chamber requires the manual safety which in turn requires a secure holster. Over the years I've migrated toward light weight  DA trigger handguns such as your 642. My current favorite is my Kahr PM9 which drops easily into any pocket and I find easy to live with, translation: I'll always have it with me. I can't remember how many times I've left a big honking .45 in the car due to the PITA factor. I feel comfortable with my 7 shots of 9mm+P always at hand. At work, different story, I carry big.