Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

Ruger 22/45 Pistols with Threaded Barrels

imschur

Sturm, Ruger & Company, Inc. (NYSE: RGR), announces two new 22/45 rimfire pistol models with threaded barrels. These new models allow owners to attach an assortment of muzzle accessories to one of America’s favorite rimfire handguns, the popular Ruger 22/45RP rimfire pistol.

Both models feature a 4.5 inch, factory ½-28 thread barrel, which accepts many popular muzzle accessories. When not using a special application attachment, the threaded barrel and barrel crown are protected by a muzzle cap.

The 22/45PRRP model (10149) comes without sights and features a Picatinny rail on top of the receiver for mounting optics. A shorter Picatinny rail is mounted on the bottom of the barrel for attaching lights, lasers and other accessories.

The second model (10150) features a fixed rear sight and Partridge-style front sight. The receiver is drilled and tapped to accept a Weaver-style scope adapter (available at ShopRuger.com) so shooters can mount a variety of optics on the pistol. Ruger.com.

post-1-144124368538_thumb.jpg

post-1-144124368541_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

At Bud's you can layaway as many as you like. I have an ISSC Mkii on layaway as well as the Ruger. The catch is that you have to put 20% down and if you change your mind or don't pay it off on time, (90 days), you lose the 20%. You would get back the balance of any money you send them.  You could just pay the 20% and not pay anything else until the end.  I send them money whenever I have a few bucks extra.

The problem is, of course, if you have more than one on layaway, it will take you longer to get the first one as your money will be split among several guns  But, it takes the worry out of the possibility that the gun will be out of stock when you want it.

• 3 months later...

Got the new Ruger Mark III 22/45 with Threaded Barrel and with the rails. I put a red dot on it and am going to take it out.

A few of first impressions:

1.  Heavy.  It is supposed to mimic a 1911 .45 in weight and the grip.  It does. 

2.  Cheapo grips. The first thing I noticed was the woodgrained plastic grips that feel like plastic and look like it too.  I don't think that there is necessarily anything wrong with plastic grips.  Most of the Tactical .22 rifles are made of plastic.  However, the plastic the rifles are made with, is obviously tougher and does not have a slippery feel.  I want to say that most of the tactical .22 rifles and pistols we talk about use a "higher quality" plastic, although talking in terms of "high quality" plastic seems weird. But, obviously the Glocks and Sigs, for example, use a dense plastic, although we all call it "poly" something or another. No matter how you spell it, it is still what most people think of as plastic material.

The grips on this Ruger are like the fake wood plastic GM used to use on its dashboards.  Is wood so much more expensive that they could not have put wood grips on the gun? I know Ruger made the grips on the Mark III 22/45 so that they could be changed out for most grips that fit a normal 1911, but that did not mean that changing out the grips was supposed to be mandatory.

3. Other than the grips, the gun feels and looks like it is quality made and heavy-duty made.  Comparing it to my 1983 Browning Buckmark Challenger III, the Ruger reminds me of a Ford F-350, while the Buckmark is like a Honda.  I know that the Buckmark will last forever and will do the job, but the Buckmark appears almost delicate compared to the Ruger. You could  always use this Ruger as a club if you wanted to conserve ammo. I have no experience with Rugers.  In fact, this is the first one I have held, so perhaps the models other than the 22/45 feel different.  Regardless, grips aside, you certainly feel like you get your money's worth with this gun.

4.  It came with an extra magazine and with a black cloth zip-up pistol case with the red Ruger trademark on it. So, that was cool.  I believe that this is the standard way they are sold. Of course, with the red dot scope, it won't fit the case, but it is still a nice touch. 

5.  The rails do not look like they are removable.  They are not put on with screws that look like you can take off with an Allen wrench or otherwise.  If you want to use iron sights, it looks like you have to get some that use the rail. That is what I expected as I planned to use a red dot on the pistol. I do not believe that the rails will come loose, ... ever.

So, hope to shoot it in a few minutes and will let you know what I think about it after that.  I will use my shooting gloves, as the grips feel a little harsh against bare palms.

post-416-14412437213_thumb.jpg

Yeah Ruger is full of contradictions, especially the Mark pistols. The grips always were the slick styrene-type plastic. Back 20 years ago when I got my Mark II, the first thing I did was order full-checkered wood grips. Good Luck, you have a darned good looking gun there. Keep us posted on your results.... :beer:

Just got back. 

WHAT A GREAT GUN!

My son and I took  the 22/45 out back.  These are my "second" impressions:

1.  Regarding the grips.  I forgot they were plastic when I was shooting.  The gun fit well and the grips did not hurt my hands.  I did not notice the checkering.  I then put on my think leather gloves and it was really nice.

2.  Shot Blazers and Federal Champions.  Absolutely no FTF or FTE.  I did not clean the gun before I shot it.  Just worked perfectly out of the box.

3.  It was nice and heavy and held true on the target.  Adjusted the red dot scope somewhat to the right, and it was right on.

Overall, I would give the gun extremely high marks.  Very enjoyable to shoot.  The red dot scope did not make any difference that I could see with the balance or anything.  It was nice shooting a pistol with a red dot.

• 7 months later...
  • 8 years later...