Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

ejection port latch/cover

They're not intended to stay closed. Something about the dust cover causing the action to malfunction due to the low pressures of the .22lr cartridge. That's why they ground the little notch in the receiver where the dust cover lock latches. A replacement dust cover may not help you. My Colt/Umarex dust cover won't remain closed either. The dust cover is there basically for show, like the forward assist button.

See if Anna Dalton at Umarex will send you a NEW-STYLE cover assembly. The newest rifles have a WORKING dust cover. She will probably tell you it "won't work", and the notch in the receiver opening will prohibit it's function. I know for a fact the notch does NOT cause the cover not to latch, it's the design of the catch itself. My brother's .223 AR has the same "notch" that simply allows the ball-catch on the cover to snap over edge of the opening. Try to talk her into sending you one. Maybe you'll have better luck than I did.

I notice my rifle does not have anywhere NEAR the size of notch in the receiver opening! Mine only has a slight "rounded-off" area where the cover catch hits. It seems really evident that the cover was originally designed to work. The way they made it NOT work was to physically "shear off" the spring-loaded cover latch. Since the little plunger was made of plastic, I simply drilled a really TINY hole there and threaded-in a teeny round-headed screw to serve as a catch. Wasn't easy at all, but it works well. Possibly better than the plastic one would have. I,ve seen copies of the FIRST manuals for the M4, and they refer to an "operating dust cover". Then, about a year later, the manual refers to a "non-functional dust cover". Now, on the new online Colt/HK catalog, the M4 is stated to have an "operating ejection port cover". As I've said earlier, Ms. Dalton at Umarex actually refused to send me a new "operating" dust cover assembly, saying the notch in the receiver (which I don't have) would not let it work! I even stated I would assume the risk & cost if it didn't work. Still no luck! These corporate people seem "brainwashed" sometimes!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...